My step daughter is 6 and going in to first grade, and doesn't know how to read my 2 year olds baby board book... When do they start reading?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:47 PM on Jul. 17, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• They didn't teach her the basics in kindergarten? Sounds like she is definitley behind. Start giving her lessons at home. You can be just as much of a teacher to her, probably a better one, because you are closer to her, than her school teachers. Start with a toddler book and go slow with her. It will take time, but it will be worth it.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 4:50 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• She should be reading by now. You can help her catch up quickly. She should read more than one book everyday. She should also be read to each day. Try having her tell you stories and writing them down for her. Then read them to her and allow her to reread from her story journal daily. She will be familiar with the content and can concentrate on the written words. Try using poems and songs too. Using poetry and songs can really help children become fluent readers. Games that require reading are also useful at that age. Make reading a daily activity and make it fun!
    ChattyWifePlus2

Answer by ChattyWifePlus2 at 5:00 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• Something may not have peaked her interest yet? IF I may make a suggestion: Leapfrog Letter Factory DVD or Computer CD Software (lets you play games too) totally had my son captivated and hooked instantly. It clicked in one day. He got all the letter sounds... we got a Finding nemo phonics book set from Borders and every night at bed time he read to us. (His favorite character) LeapFrog Letter Factory & Word Factory is amazing!
    He then finished Kindergarten reading on a 3rd grade level. His teacher was AMAZED. * Each child learns and progresses at their own level and pace WHEN THEY ARE READY IT WILL CLICK. WHEN IT DOES.. THEY WILL SHINE!! They each have their own special gifts that will amaze you!! Mine might read..but his writing is AWFUL! HA (I'm so NOT braging,Just trying to inspire. Library or walmart?
    bupkie

Answer by bupkie at 5:46 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• My son will be 7 in Oct and going into 1st grade and he doesn't know how to read. They didn't start reading until the last month of Kindergarten. We're doing hooked on phonics with him over the summer to give him a head start next year when they start actually teaching reading. He's picking up on it slowly.

My oldest was reading by Christmas in Kindergarten. She was 5 and by the end of the school year was reading at a 2nd grade level. She's going into 3rd grade and can read anything you put in front of her.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 7:01 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• my son could read board books a month or two into kindergarten...but he went to preschool...she should definately be reading by christmas....but i would really suggest getting some kind of program to work with her at home with...a lot of kids who dont go to preschool are a little behind for the first few years without help from home
    LoriaAnn

Answer by LoriaAnn at 7:03 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• all kids are different. My 5 yr old g/d that starts Kindergarten in Aug is already reading. DH and I are voracious readers though. These two have over 300 books. My 4 yr old g/s though can't name three letters. We work all the time on it. He just isn't 'there' yet.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:11 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• You might want to go to the library if you don't have money to buy any books. The have easy reader books for kids that are just starting out. They have different levels that grow with your child. The best thing is to point to the words as you read for she can get familiar with them. Ask her what she thinks the book is about after you have read to her. Also, when she starts to read and she can't sound out a word, tell her sometimes the picture holds some clues. Some schools don't teach reading really until there in the 1st grade, but they expect them to know something. Why, I don't know. I think they should start them before 1st if they expect such.
    momluvsmatt

Answer by momluvsmatt at 8:56 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• That's typical for kids in public school because when they don't grasp a concept, the teacher can't help them...they have to keep moving forward...leaving them further and further behind. Do like the other moms said and try your best to teach her at home. This is just one of the reasons I'll be homeschooling my kids!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:22 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• My daughter started reading in Kindergarten. I sit down and read with my daughter every night. I know she doesn't know all the words but they taught her in kindergarten how to sound out the works and letters.
    NikkiMarie333

Answer by NikkiMarie333 at 9:26 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• Most schools begin teaching children to read in kindergarten. Some preschools get the kids to begin sounding out words.
    JuneL

Answer by JuneL at 9:34 PM on Jul. 17, 2008