TTC Twins naturally: Anyone else interested in sharing ideas for natural ways to possibly boost chances of twin conception?

I would like to have more children and had no problem conceiving my dd or ds, but enjoy research and learning about different biological and environmental factors that could sway the odds for twin conception. Anyone else interested in this topic who would like to share research and/or experience?

mariposa_kms

Asked by mariposa_kms at 2:35 PM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• Waiting until you are older is one way to increase your odds. That's the only natural one I know of that you have any control over.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 2:38 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• i heard drinking a lot of milk and eating a lot of potatoes.
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 2:38 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• i dont think you can increase your chances they egg is either going to split or not split. thats really all there is to it.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 2:40 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• As a mother of "natural" twins I can tell you, if you want identical twins...there is NOTHING you can do to increase your chances (it's just a fluke of nature). Fraternal twins however are when more than one egg is release and fertilized, this tends to happen more with age, or more pregnancies. There is really no magic pill or food you can eat to make this occur. Be thankful for the children you have, if you are meant to have twins inthe future it will happen.

I do want to add that I know people that have gone to a holistic dr of eastern medicine for help in trying to concieve twins...no success stories yet, but I guess its worth a shot.
    megmckn

Answer by megmckn at 2:44 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• megmckn is correct - I forgot about "having more babies" - your odds do increase the more pregnancies you have.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 2:49 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• i am a mother of twins and i have to say that i am the exact opposite of what they say causes "natural" twins. i was 19 years old, it was my first pregnancy, no family history of twins at all, i was not overweight, i am not tall (5'2) and i did not use any sort of fertility treatments. i was actually on the pill due to only being married for 4 months. i guess what i am trying to say is that while it is interesting to research it and understand twins, they really are a spontanious act of God. they do say that it is caused by a hyperovulation gene passed down through the family. they say that it is obviously dormant in men, but can still be passed to his chilren. (this is where people often say that it "skips" a generation. i have also heard that eating a lot (i mean LOTS) of yams has something do to with the women in (i think) south america giving birth to twins.

good luck!
    sarahkaystone

Answer by sarahkaystone at 4:20 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Not South America, Nigeria. Yes, it is yams, but not how we serve them. They are eaten raw or heated and served with skins on.

There are lots of research on the internet about them.
    misterri

Answer by misterri at 5:06 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• A quick question for Sarahkaystone - how long were you on the pill before you were married (before conceiving)? I've never taken the pill or any hormones for that matter, but based on my research, there are actually some scientific explanations as to why one could conceive twins after being on the pill for a short time (if that was indeed the case). Just curious...

I guess I should have specified fraternal twins. Yes, you are right that identical twins is a random fluke of nature.

I read all about the wild yams eaten by the small African village people (seems from pictures and articles it is similar to Cassava root or Yucca root) and I've heard about the milk link (mainly due to rbST hormones (Recombinant bovine somatotropin) which has apparently been linked to increased Gonadotropin production, the hormone that helps mature the ovarian follicles.

mariposa_kms

Answer by mariposa_kms at 4:41 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I've also researched some herbs and teas that help with overall fertility and some that could be linked to spontaneous ovulation.

Thanks for all the input. I enjoy reading everyone's responses. Also, if dh and I do conceive again, this would be my third pregnancy. And I'm 33, nearing the range of twinning odds increasing.
    mariposa_kms

• I too am wanting to conceive twins. This would be my third pregnancy, I am 25 years old and have two sons and would love two daughters at once. Let me know if you find any more information on conceiving twins naturally. Thanks
    iwantwins

Answer by iwantwins at 11:19 AM on Apr. 3, 2009