My 20 month old is barely talking...is this normal?

I've asked the doctor this question and they don't really seem to help or have a good answer for it. I was just wondering if any of you other mothers have had this happen to you? I'm kind of worried but i've heard of kids not talking until they were two. Please help me out. Thank you, it's muchly appreciated! :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:48 PM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• How frequently are you around her? I know my son would talk up a storm but not say much once daddy got home :) Also, you might try baby sign language. Most videos that teach say the word at the same time and the repetition is very helpful with that age group. I wouldn't "worry" about much... All kids develop differently. Keep an eye out of course but you don't want to worry and put excess pressure on your developing young one kwim?

CooksWife

Answer by CooksWife at 2:51 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I noticed my son not talking very well at 20 months so I called early intervention he is 3 now and talks great!!! my second son is now 20 months and tlaks alot better then cameron did at that age....but all kids develop differently early intervention said that alot of parents wait untill there 2 to call since that is when vocabulary really booms!!
    bkt84

Answer by bkt84 at 2:56 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• my 20 month old twins talk a lot but you can't understand much of it...they say half words and stuff. i'm not at all worried, and my pediatrician acts like it's fine...as long as you can tell he understands things you tell him and as long as he's making some sort of sounds he's most likely fine. hope this helps!
    tstep972

Answer by tstep972 at 10:11 PM on Jan. 13, 2009