When should I start taking my son to the dentist?

My son is 16 months old. He has 8 teeth in the front and his first molar just broke yesterday for a total of 9 teeth! When should I start taking him to the dentist?

LoveMy2Boys426

Asked by LoveMy2Boys426 at 2:53 PM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Health

• I was told at 2.
    mom2four25

Answer by mom2four25 at 2:54 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Call the dentist and ask for their policy. I think I first took our children when they were a little over one. The dentist showed the child about the chair and the lights and "counted their teeth." No procedures. The next time was the first actual visit with cleaning.

Answer by Bmat at 2:55 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• My sister-in-law works for a dentist and they recommend seeing a dentist as soon as they have 6 or more teeth or at the age of one... which ever comes first
    my3sonstaxi

Answer by my3sonstaxi at 3:06 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Depends on the dentist. My kids' dentist starts seeing them at 3 years old because on average they have all of their baby teeth by then. I think pediatric dentists start seeing them sooner.
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 3:13 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I work for a dentist we see them starting at 2 yrs old.
    Tonja43

Answer by Tonja43 at 4:04 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• 2 years old
    Godswk

Answer by Godswk at 5:21 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• i started my kids at 2.
    doneitallmom

Answer by doneitallmom at 7:54 PM on Jan. 13, 2009