ADHD AND 11 YR. OLD SON

My DH and I just got back from a meeting with our son's teachers. He's in 6th grade and in an inclusion class (two teachers). He's very distractable and frustrated over the hard work. He is failing. He's not on meds now but was on Concerta 54 mg last year but I was still getting reports that it did not help last year. I thought that if he was in an inclusion class and on no meds. he's do better. He's not. The teachers are afraid that he might give up one day and drop out because of his frustration of failing. I know all kids are different when it comes to meds. I'm just so worried over side effects. Can anyone relate? He was diagnosed in '04.

elainecat

Asked by elainecat at 2:54 PM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• yeah if the meds didnt work i would try discipline now... good luck. i hope it works.
    Anonymous

• I am going through the same thing with my son he has appt next week to be evaluted and the school has told me there are alot of meds out there that work and u should really go back to the doc and tell them his meds need to be changed
    peachy101

Answer by peachy101 at 3:12 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I am also going through the same thing with my 10 yr. old DS. He was diagnosed with severe ADHD and ODD 5 yrs. ago. We've tried Adderall, Concerta (54 mg.) and Strattera which made him a zombie. He is now on Ritalin and in behavioral therapy as well. You can message me if you'd like and maybe I can offer some other suggestions from experience.

LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 4:08 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Have you tried diet changes and some suppliments. Omega's, digestive enzymes maybe some aminos?
    Anonymous

• I too am going through this with my 10 yr. old DS. He was diagnosed with severe ADHD five years ago. Feel free to message me if you'd like to talk. I may be able to offer some suggestions on some things that have and haven't worked for us that may help you with your son.

LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 4:17 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• My 12 year old son was diagnosed with ADD 4 years ago. He is currently on Strattera, has a monitored diet, and in the same type of class. He was first placed on Ritalin and I thought we were going to have to place him in a crazy house. That medication made him go crazy. We stopped that and he has been on Strattera erver since. He takes it at night because it does cause him to get sleepy but he sleeps so well at night. We also have to watch what he eats. If he gets to much sugar or certain foods we can tell right away. There is a book out there that we picked up. I think it was called The 5 different types of ADHD/ADD. I loaned it to a parent sorry. If you go to Barnes & Noble they have it there. If you have any questions please send me a message. Good luck.
    socal1972

Answer by socal1972 at 11:54 PM on Jan. 13, 2009