Constipation and Rice Cereal

After my son's 4-month old appointment our pediatrician said we could start him on rice cereal. We mixed a tablespoon of rice cereal with 6 tablespoons of formula and gave it to him -- and he loved it. However, it has now been 2 1/2 days since he's gone to the bathroom, and he' s usually an every day kind of baby. We've been giving him Karo syrup every 3-4 days anyway because he's always had trouble since he was 2 weeks old with constipation. If he doesn't go by tomorrow should I call the doctor, or maybe wait it out a bit more? He's happy, not fussy, and his stomach isn't hard at all. I'm just concerned, but I don't want to freak out if it's just taking longer for his system to get used to it. He's probably just too young for the rice. Anyone else have this problem?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:55 PM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• This is exactly why I did not do rice cereal at all with my son. He was exclusively breastfeed until he was 10 months old and then slowly I added 1st foods skipping even oatmeal. Here is a site that I highly recommend. Doctors say 4 mo but I believe everyone else says 6 months and instead of rice cereal maybe try oatmeal. There are alsways lots of posts like this when parents try rice cereal at 4 mo. It is common b/c I dont think babies can hadle the digestion of it.

http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/constip.htm
    Loa1002

Answer by Loa1002 at 3:01 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• my pediatrician recommended glycerin suppositories, they make liquid form for babies. we haven't had to use it yet, thankfully. the constipation is probably from the iron in the rice cereal. i don't know what else to suggest since my daughter is breastfed and hasn't started solids yet.
    kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 3:00 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I started my son on rice cerial when he was 3 months. He is now 6 months, but my cousin has a 3 month old, Her baby eats rice cerial, and what her mom does is gives her prune juice. I thought that was a strang ideah, but her baby does not get a tummy ache from it, and it helps her stay regular. I am just about to go get some for my son. You can dilute it if it makes you incomfertible , I am, but I think it is worth a try. After 2 1/2 days I would be concerned.
    Kris20

Answer by Kris20 at 3:00 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• i had this same problem!!Put about 1tbs of kayro syrup in his bottle! it will do am amazing trucks! try this until he has a good bowl movement then stop!!
    mommy2b421

Answer by mommy2b421 at 3:05 PM on Jan. 13, 2009