what can i do for my son who is 2 1/2 and he just want stay on the pot long enough to do anything. He juse want do it no matter who is working with him me or my husabnd. what can I do I have just about had it

we had tried him on the pot pot that he can seat down on andwe have tried him just standing up and he just want stay long just as soon as we take his undeeeeeee off he is ready to go and do something else.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:49 PM on Jul. 17, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Give him something to do while on the potty. Read a short book to him or give him a book to look at. Or a simple puzzle to put together (you will have to hand him the pieces), anything like that. Let him know he must finish (the book, puzzle, whatever) before leaving the potty. It is useful to hand it to him right by the potty but before you take off his pants. When he does go in the potty make sure he knows that is what you were going for really & that you are happy with him.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 4:53 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• Put his diapers on and leave him alone. Boys are generally slower than girls about toilet training. When he is closer to three, able to get there by himself and take care of his pants you will find that this can be a weekend job. Until then, you have trained the parents, not the child.
    flob

Answer by flob at 5:06 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• Well don't read to your child while they are on the pot please! a child will go when they are ready to go. try putting him on it every 30 min at first or just in the morning run some sink water so he hears that and it will help him go atleast it does with my 2 yr old.
    1boy1girl4me

Answer by 1boy1girl4me at 6:47 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• as far as the reading, you aren't suppose to teach kids to read on the pot you are suppose to teach them to just go. when i went thru chemo last year i was teaching my dd to go to potty. well she was same as your son. so i got her a book. sometimes i had to get a book because of the treatments i couldnt' go on my own. well my oncologist informed me NOT to read for me or a child that will cause hemroids in the future. only put them on the pot to go not for reading or entertainment. i understand it works for some, not a big deal if you want to do it Im not bashing anyone. just sharing what i was told by my dr. good luck sweetie hope things move along fast for ya. we been training for months now. lol!! but i got a girl.
    1boy1girl4me

• Interesting book like the Sesame Street dictionary set
    Puzzle
    Toy (I keep a toy on the back of my toilet- it matches actually- I have an alligator bathroom so the toy is a lego alligator.)
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 11:21 PM on Jul. 17, 2008