My son is 15 months and still not walking.

He is scaling everything and takes a few steps on his own but he is not confident enough to completely walk (more than a few steps) on his own. Anyone else have a late walker? I must note that he was born 1 1/2 months premature. Not sure if this has anything to do with it.

IsaacMom2007

Asked by IsaacMom2007 at 2:55 PM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Mine is also not walking yet, at 15 months and he was born PAST his due date! :)
    I talked to the doctor about it at his 15 months check up and he said he thinks my son is just careful. He can stand on his own and is very active and strong, so he isn't worried. He said if he isnt walking by 18 months, then we will start to look at therapy, etc.

I think we just have ourselves some careful babies....let's just hope they are careful in their teens!
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 3:07 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• My son walked between 15 and 17 months. His daughter was the same- closer to 17 months. They both get along perfecty well now. :)

Answer by Bmat at 2:58 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• My second son did not walk until he was 16 months... I begged him every day to "just take a step for mommy, please"! It did not help! He was also born 1 month pre-mature and in all the research I have done I am finding that is "normal". So don't worry! He seems to be wanting to walk and working towards it. He will when he is ready... and your house will never be the same!
    my3sonstaxi

Answer by my3sonstaxi at 2:59 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• It sounds like he is almost there! Since he was born 1 1/2 months early he is more like a 13 1/2 month old. I think there are a lot of 13 1/2 month olds that are just beginning to walk. I don't think that would even be considered late.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 2:59 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I was just gonna ask if he was a premmie. My niece didnt walk to she was 15 or 16 months also and she was a premmie.
    mom2four25

Answer by mom2four25 at 2:59 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• It is completely normal. Especially since he was a preemie. Don't worry and just keep encouraging him! Most children that were not preemies walk between the ages of 12-18 months and some earlier. But since your son was a preemie, than he may walk later.

Anonymous

• Thanks everyone for all your answers. Makes me feel better that there are other moms in my shoes!
    IsaacMom2007

Answer by IsaacMom2007 at 3:09 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• It's perfectly normal for premies to develop a little slower than babies born on time. If you are really worried about it, ask his doctor. But, he's showing signs that's he's ready, so he'll come to it on his own. Since he's scaling things, you could try to get him to hold your hand for support, and he might take a couple steps with your help. Next time he's at it, just hold your hand out, in his path, not blocking, but offering, and see if he takes the bait. As he moves away from the walls and furniture, he may gain more confidence, and take off before you know it.
    lost_faery

Answer by lost_faery at 3:29 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• He is fine; he will walk when he wants to unless you have notice some early signs of learning disability
    Godswk

Answer by Godswk at 5:18 PM on Jan. 13, 2009