How far in advance did you look for daycare?

I"m in my third trimester (due in March) and will get a 12-week maternity leave. My DH is a teacher and will have all summer off, so our girl will be in daycare around 6 mos. old. How far in advance should I be looking for daycare? I've already called around to check out rates.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:58 PM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Pregnancy

• about a month b4 go to places and check them out... thats my opinion
    navywifemomkoch

Answer by navywifemomkoch at 2:59 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• id say by mid june you wana start lookng and interviewing people you might find a place were there is a waiting list.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 3:00 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I run a daycare from my home, and I thought that I might add that it is really hard for us to hold a spot for your child if you look too far in advance. We are usually only allowed a limited number of children and leaving that spot open, although reserved, is a big financial loss for most of us.
    ** What I will usually do to guarantee a spot, is to charge half-rate until the infants first day. This eliminates some of my lost wages, and gives the parents the piece of mind that nobody else will come along and take their space. I just thought I'd give you a heads-up so you understand if they charge you.
    Ask everyone you know for referrals, and you will find some great places, I'm sure. Good Luck!!!
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 3:12 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• okay baby rooms (the good ones) fill up quick when you have older kids in a center and you know you are pregs you reserve teh spot for the baby and that is why the fill up so quickly so you are never too early to look for them and reserve a spot...
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 3:30 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I'd look now. I started exploring them around the same time I got pregnant, some places have really long wait lists!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 3:55 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• DOn't like public daycares.
    Godswk

Answer by Godswk at 5:10 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I'm in the Navy and I already have my unborn baby on the military childcare waiting list, because there are people with children 1 year or older who are STILL waiting! (However, you get to avoid that lol) but in the meantime, I don't think it's ever too early to check out different places, or call around and meet with either the home caregivers or the actual childcare centers, that way you can get warm fuzzy feelings about who is going to be taking care of your baby and not have to worry when you drop her off for the day!
    Amanda_Jeanne

Answer by Amanda_Jeanne at 6:26 PM on Jan. 13, 2009