My kids are so freakin' annoying!!

I HATE weekends when they are both home. They are up at 6:30 am. They won't fis their own breakfast even if I set it out ( 4 and 7) They knock on my door every 10 min after they wake up to tattle on one another. I end up getting up at 7 am to keep them from fighting. No matter what we do- go to the park- go to the zoo-go on a play date- they fight the WHOLE DAY. I HATE is when DS is home from school. I hate it hate it hate it! I love my daughter but MAN I question having a second child. All they do is fight. Someone is ALWAYS crying. I can't even take them out to eat because they end up yelling and screaming at each other, which leads to pinching and hitting and biting. I am sure the fact that they neither one sleep helps. They go to bed at 7:30 and are not asleep until 8:30 then wake up at 6 or 6:30. I try sending them back to bed but then they just play for 15 min and complain they are hungry. Ugh!!!

Any ideas on ANY of this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:56 AM on Jan. 7, 2012 in General Parenting

• Hang in there mama, siblings fight- it's just an unpleasant fact of life. Add to that they are a boy & a girl, & well, let's face it, their brains are just wired differently. This will take a lot of effort from you, but they need to be taught ways of expressing themselves that don't involve physical confrontations. They need to verbally express their displeasure w/ one another & come up w/ compromises. Do some team work building techniques that hopefully bring them together as a team, rather than him vs. her. GL! :)

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 9:05 AM on Jan. 7, 2012

• Kids get up early. That's the way it is until they are teens. Then you will be yelling for them to get out of bed. One idea....my niece has a kindness chart in her home. The kids have to do the things on the chart and they get points or stickers for doing them. After a week or so they get a day out to the park, go out for ice cream, have a special meal, go to a museum, etc. It has worked wonders for them.
    Also, I saw on Supernanny that she had the whole family play board games and do it with teams. Alternate the teams so the kids are team mates once in awhile. This will foster cooperation. Lastly, make sure they get enough one on one time with you and your SO. Plus praise when they do things right. This, along with positive reinforcement, goes a long way to making them feel special and lessen tensions. GL!
    whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 9:06 AM on Jan. 7, 2012

• try sending them to bed later...??
    and take a chill pill, girl. dang.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:08 AM on Jan. 7, 2012

• I have tried keeping them up later- they still wake up between 6 and 6:30 so it's worse to keep them up. I am just sick to death o the fighting all the time. I get tired of having to work to keep them apart so no one gets hurt. they don't just push... They go all out and hit scratch and bite. And 4 and 7 year olds aren't gentle about it. They bruise and draw blood.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:11 AM on Jan. 7, 2012

• We trained out kids that if mom and dad are sleeping and wake us up there would be hell to pay. We set cereal and bowls on the table. They knew where the spoons were and could get the milk. They would make themselves breakfast and watch tv until we woke up. There were times when my kids were fighting so bad, I just sat on the sideline and laughed. They stopped and asked why I was laughing and I told them,
    1. If you kill each other then dad and I could go on a nice vacation without any kids.
    2. We could have a nice quiet meal at a nice restaurant without any fighting kids.

They didn't like that and wanted to go. So me made small goals. If you behave we;ll go to dinner at x restaurant. If any fighting occurs they would have to pay us back out of their savings account. We wouldn't go anywhere zoo, museum, or park until their behavior was under control.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 9:11 AM on Jan. 7, 2012

• Sleeping from 8:30 to 6:30 is sleeping 10 hours. I honestly can't believe anyone would say this about their own kids. I know what it feels like to be exhausted. I have a 2 week old baby boy and a 15 month little girl. There is screaming and crying all day long in this house, and I get virtually no sleep, but I don't blame my kids. Believe it or not all of this completely normal, but most people don't hate having their kids at home. I love when my kids are up, I just wish they would nap together so that I can get a nap in once in awhile. I think you need to look at your discipline methods if what you are doing isn't working.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 9:15 AM on Jan. 7, 2012

• I have read every damn parenting book on the shelf! lmao!! Nothing talks about siblings that literally hate each other! I have tried charts, rewards and even time outs. Nothing helps. They just hate each other. in fact my son regularly wishes his sister dead. hen they are alone with me the house is perfect. Not that they are angels then but there is no war zone. That is what it feels like- a war zone. You can feel the hate between them and it has been that way since DD was born. HE was 3 and trying to suffocate her with a blanket because she was crying to much. HE would throw toys at her. I had to jeep her on me or in her crib for the first 18 months of her life to keep her safe from him. She quickly learned ot defend herself.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:20 AM on Jan. 7, 2012

• In my experience, kids always wake up within an hour of their normal waking time, regardless of what time they go to sleep. So, if I were you, I'd put them to bed an hour earlier.

Second, the fighting can be controlled, to a certain extent, by separation or timeouts. Are you yelling at them all the time to stop fighting? If so, stop doing that. Remove them from each other, put one in your room and one in the living room and keep them apart until they calm down. Every single time a fight begins, repeat. Do this calmly and firmly. Remove their toys and other amenities such as television, video games, computer time. Finally, work to find things for them to do to burn off energy or use their imagination. Go outside, do crafts, play board games.
    Brawnwyn

Answer by Brawnwyn at 9:23 AM on Jan. 7, 2012

• "E was 3 and trying to suffocate her with a blanket because she was crying to much. HE would throw toys at her. I had to jeep her on me or in her crib for the first 18 months of her life to keep her safe from him. She quickly learned ot defend herself."

Parenting books are not going to help with this. Nor should your daughter have to defend herself from her brother. He needs counseling and he needs it right now.
    Brawnwyn

Answer by Brawnwyn at 9:25 AM on Jan. 7, 2012

• They are four and seven and you expect them to fend for themselves so your lazy ass can sleep in? Wow, what a bad parent. Perhaps someone that doesn't think "my kids are so freakin annoying" can take them since you obviously just can't be bothered with taking the time to control their behavior.
    SaraD1989

Answer by SaraD1989 at 9:40 AM on Jan. 7, 2012