what age is it okay for your baby to eat the rice cereal? and babyfoods instead of formula?

aquariuschick83

Asked by aquariuschick83 at 4:49 PM on Jul. 17, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i started mine on rice about 4 mths old and start to give her babyfood around 6mths but i still give her fomula you shouldnt give them real milk till a year old but i started to give her juice around 5 or 6 mths
    mommadent

Answer by mommadent at 4:51 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• I agree with the last post. 4 months is typically when the pediatrician will start a baby on rice cereal!
    Caitlynsmommy07

Answer by Caitlynsmommy07 at 4:54 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• Really? With how much my 1 month old is drinking, I don't know if I'll be able to last that long. Lol. 5 ounces every time, with about 2-3 ounc snacks every now and then.
    DementedPsyche

Answer by DementedPsyche at 4:58 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• I've just gotten done researching the same question. Here's what I've found. Generally between 4 and 6 months. Prior to that could increase the risk of Type1 Diabetes as could waiting longer than 6 months. Indicators to look for in that time frame include: baby is at least 13 pounds AND has doubled their birth weight; baby has control of their head enough to turn away from the food if they're full; baby has shown interest in what you're eating. You don't have to wait long to introduce "1st" foods (check out Gerber.com). When you do, be sure to introduce only one at a time and wait about 4 or 5 days before introducing another...that way you can isolate an allergic reaction. HAVE FUN!! First time feedings are GREAT! Enjoy the mess while your babe learns what the food feels like...it's an important experience for them.
    mysweetalex

Answer by mysweetalex at 5:03 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• between 4-6 months. but you should still give them formula. I wouldnt take them off the formula untill they are at least 11 moonths. *Good Luck*
    MommyMel03

Answer by MommyMel03 at 5:05 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• my son started baby cereal when he was 4 months old and jar food at 6 months. now my son eats stage 2 jars 3-4 times a day, a bottle of cereal before he goes to bed, and formula bottles all day long as he wants. he is drinking about 11 oz bottles 6-8 times a day. but i can't get him to hold it on his own or get him to do anything else that he is saposed to be doing by 8 months.
    jenni123

Answer by jenni123 at 5:09 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• I had my kids on rice at 6 weeks because they drank way too much formula and the Dr. told me to add rice to it, to fill them up.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 5:42 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• I started my baby on ceral when she was 6 weeks old but I didn't used rice, I used oatmeal. My daughter doesn't do good with rice. At times now I add some baby food for flavor.
    lyricsmommy08

Answer by lyricsmommy08 at 6:20 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• You can start on solid foods at 4 to 6 months. Check with your doctor for a recommended starting age and an order to give the foods.
    You should keep giving formula until 1 year. Then you can switch to whole milk.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 7:03 PM on Jul. 17, 2008