Does anyones kid like negative attention?

So my son will be 2 in four months and he knows what the word NO means. My husband and I have tried time out, swatting his booty, not hard, and saying STOP! He knows what NO means because if we start going towards him and he's doing something wrong he'll run away! I don't know what to do about it anymore because I'm getting really tired of him repeatently doing the same stuff over and over again. Could he be liking the negative attention?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:03 PM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Mine does the same thing.

I think they like ANY attention, even negative attention.
    weezer_cookie

Answer by weezer_cookie at 3:04 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I think he is too young and not developed enough logically to seek out bad attention. I think it is more of a repetition to figure out what rules even mean. Will they always been the same? Why do they tell me no? I want to do this. Wonder if I try now...

I know how it goes! My son is still learning things. I can give you hope: if you stay consistent, shower him with love and acceptance, and find other productive ways to get out his energy- it should turn out to be just a phase. Once they get a little older- not even very far from now- You can even explain "ouch" or "Hot" or "messy" to them... It gets a little easier. You aren't alone- it just takes brain frying repitition :)
    Anonymous

• Kids only go after negative attention if thats the only kind they get. I dont think yours is doing that. He is testing the limits and boundaries sounds like. Just keep reenforcing positive behavior.

Answer by gemgem at 3:07 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Ignore him dont run after him.. They think it's a game. He will stop.
    Godswk

Answer by Godswk at 4:58 PM on Jan. 13, 2009