First Trimester Screen

I'm debating whether to have my first trimester screen done. My doctor said it was optional, but recommended it. I had an ultrasound and blood tests done at six weeks, without any problems. I just want to get other mom's opinions.

lala9

Asked by lala9 at 3:07 PM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Pregnancy

• we did on the first child and it came back abnormal so for the rest of the pregnancy we were even more stressed. He was perfect! For the other 2 we did not. We decided that it didn't matter what the test said. We wanted our children and no test could change our minds!
    my3sonstaxi

Answer by my3sonstaxi at 3:24 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• We also did, it came back abnormal and the baby DID have Trisomy 18. It prepared us for the worst, which when it comes to pregnancy, T18 is one of the worst. We lost her at 29 weeks but at least knew that it was/could happen. However, we also did several ultrasounds to confirm... It's really up to you. I didn't with this pregnancy b/c it didn't matter to me, I knew that even if something was wrong, I would carry again just like last time
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 3:37 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I did it the first time, it came back abnormal. I freaked out and was worried the entire pregnancy. The second time, I chose not to take it. I figured that whether there was something wrong or not, I would still have the baby anyway, and we were not really at risk for anything. (Of course I know things still happen...) I've also read a lot of things that say that test has way too many errors, so I didn't see the point. Personally, if I ever get pg again, I won't be having it done.
    mom2XandZ

Answer by mom2XandZ at 3:41 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I did it (you're talking about the ultrascreen, right?). It came out fine, I think my baby's odds were 1 in 10,000 or something like that.
    Anonymous

• What screen are you referring to? I had the Down Syndrome/spineabifita test done w/ my son and w/ this pregnancy. The test w/ my son came out ok. This pregnancy it didn't. Mine was 1 in 181 for downs. I had the amio done last week and just got the preliminary results back that said that everything is normal so far. Still waiting for the final results.
    Whether you should get them done is up to you. If I were to have another baby I don't think I'd get it done, only because there are more false results than positive.
    Tiffany237

Answer by Tiffany237 at 4:16 PM on Jan. 13, 2009