how often do you feed a 6mth old mushy food?

booboo is breastfed for thrity minutes on one breast five times a day. in a bottle its 6-7 oz. 8am 12n, 2pm, 8pm and 10pm. he sleeps through the night so i dont have to worry about night feedings anymore. at 5pm everyday when the family eats i feed him his mushy food. which is 4oz. well lately he has began screaming at mushy food time. its like i cant get the food in his mouth fast enough he wants it that bad. and when its all gone he cries. i thought he was still hungry so i tried to breastfeed and he refused to take it. hes never screaming at the breast only at mushy food time. so i dont know if i should feed him more mushy food at one time in the day. or if i need to add the times a day i feed him mushy food.

anothergage

Asked by anothergage at 3:09 PM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• They say to breastfeed first and then the food. If he wants more maybe give a little bit more. What kind of mushy food are you feeding him? Food like sweet potatoes or avacodo or rice cereal?
    Loa1002

Answer by Loa1002 at 3:13 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• my daughter is bottle fed, but we always feed solids first (mushy food is solids to us). My daughter just started cereal with baby food about 2 weeks ago. We are feeding her twice a day, but I think if your child is used to eating then 3x a day is pretty good, since its breakfast, lunch, and dinner. If you dont want to make his diet mainly solids at this point then you could feed the bottle first and use the cereal/baby food as a 'side dish' to fill him up, that would minimize his solid food intake. My daughter eats about a half a baby food jar of cereal and baby food mixed. Then she drinks an entire bottle. If you feed the solid food first, he will fill up on it and not have as much interest in the breast or bottle. But to me it sounds like he enjoys his solids!! Good for you!
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 3:34 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• so far hes gone through all the fruits and veggies except for meat. we dont give him cereal because for some reason it gives him the runs right after he eats it. so now that i know hes not allergic to the normal stuff i will feed him like green beans squash applesauce and banana pudding at one serving. he eats veggies and fruits alike so i can feed him either one first and he will still eat the other. and i have tried breastfeeding first he still screams come mushy food time.
    anothergage

Answer by anothergage at 3:34 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• At 6 months, my guys were taking the equivalent of two stage 2 jars of food at each meal and an 8oz sippy (formula). (three meals...breakfast, lunch and supper)

They received a handful of finger foods and another 8oz sippy twice a day for snack. (and another before bed)

We also started giving them table foods at this time.

I can't say you could add or not add...but this is what ours were doing at that age...
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 3:39 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• He needs molars to chew
    Godswk

Answer by Godswk at 4:50 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I think its just time to go for a majority solids diet.. he sounds ready!
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 6:31 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• In a guide from teh public health nbursing department in MN...
    Breastmilk:28-35 oz a day
    Plain water as needed
    Cereal 4-6 Tablespoons/day
    vit a Veggies:4-6 TBLS
    fruits and other veggies 6-8 TBLS
    Juice-2-4 ounces(always dilute 1/2 and 1/2 wth water)
    Kelly_Ann

Answer by Kelly_Ann at 11:28 PM on Jan. 13, 2009