Breastfeeding rigth after birth?

Did they let you breastfeed your baby right after he/she was born?
I do NOT want my baby to be fed formula I'd like to breastfeed her asap when she is born. Any experiences with this?

HayleyGM

Asked by HayleyGM at 3:18 PM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Pregnancy

• They actually wait just a bit to do all the things they need to with the baby but will not give them formula if you tell them right away you are BF'ing.
    Anonymous

• thats usually what they do
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 3:20 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• you call the shots mama. just make sure everyone involved in your birth knows what you want beforehand. i'm pretty sure it's encouraged to do it right away... because the babies are at their most alert in the first hour after birth. after that... all they do is sleep for the next two weeks! keep that in mind, before you start letting the hoards of people who want to see the baby come in.
    abelsmama07

Answer by abelsmama07 at 3:21 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• My first son went to breat before the cord was cut! My mom was in there with me and she just kinda took over once he was born! You should have seen the dr's face! Classic!! He did not latch on right away but it only took a couple of minutes for him to figure it out. Talk to your local La Leche League they can help you with all your questions and be there for you through out the breast feeding experience.
    my3sonstaxi

Answer by my3sonstaxi at 3:21 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• You can do whatever you want. --And hope that your birth attendants are aware of your wishes AND intend to follow them. Unfortunately, sometimes they forget.

Nobody but my family touched my baby for a good while after my child was born. It was bliss! (But of course not in a hospital, that's too much work.)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 3:29 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• write in on a birthing plan.. hang it on the door, tell the doc not to feed form.. usually they ask b4 they do / yes you can bf as soon as htey are born unless you have an emerg c section like me and they rush the baby away for test...
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 3:29 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Most of the time if your plan is to breastfeed they want you to do it soon after birth. Make sure you let your delivery nurse know your intentions to breast feed, and your DH. Blessings on your upcoming birth.
    JTLMOMMY

Answer by JTLMOMMY at 3:36 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Most places will let you choose: you can either put baby to the breast IMMEDIATELY, or wait a few hours. If you have a good hospital, they'll probably be more than eager to let you breastfeed exclusively!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 3:53 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I had my daughter by emergency c-section. Because my DH and myself were very clear about my intentiosn to BFed and that we were very against her getting ANYTHING from a bottle, they held off on giving her anything until I was in recovery and could nurse her. She didn't nurse at first, but they were great in not giving her anything including sugar water. Most hospitals encourage breastfeeding, and will do whatever they can to help you and your baby accomplish this hard, but very rewarding challenge.
    Angel8203

Answer by Angel8203 at 3:56 PM on Jan. 16, 2009