What do you honestly think of teen parents?

Too young? Wrongfully stereotyped? Worse parents? Or just as good? ETC

Asked by Anonymous at 3:45 PM on Jun. 19, 2008 in General Parenting

• I don't think that age has anything to do with parenting. My best friend had her first child at 18 and is just has good of a parent as I am and I didn't have my first child until I was 24. I also know moms who had their first child at 16 and are way better parents then some people that I know who had thier first child at 25. It is all about maturity level and how you deal with the situation. Yes there are teen moms out there who aren't ready to be parents and should have waited until they were older. But then there are moms who are 25 who should wait another 5 years before having a child

Answer by katandjohnmommy at 3:50 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• It all depends on how old they are and how mature they are too. They are too young when they don't know how to wash their own clothing, make their own food or make their bed! Wrongfully stereotyped? Well, it takes 1 person to ruine it for the rest I guess. Not necessarily worst parents... but less mature, less knowledgeable. Then again, there are 30, 40 year old parents that don't know right from wrong. It all depends on their maturity level.

Answer by IBCris at 4:04 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• My only concern is the teen's education. They need to know there are other options to finishing their education. Teen pregnancy rate is HIGH where I live and many of them don't have a diploma or GED.

Answer by ReneeK3 at 4:28 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• there's nothing wrong w/ teen parents inless they don't know how to take care of a child at all, but that's why we have pregnancy centers, so people can take classes about how to take care of a child.

Answer by SamandFaith at 4:33 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I had my first child at 17, and let me tell you, i grew up fast. I stayed in school and even brought my grades up to a 4.0 buy the time i graduated.

Answer by blue_eyedmomma3 at 4:43 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I know that some teens didn't plan on getting pregnant, and I applaud them for taking on the responsibilities that are involved with parenting. There are several reasons for waiting to have children, you basically shut the door on your final years of childhood and carefree freedom, the opportunity to live without a husband, boyfriend or kids...It is a hard road to take and there are many teens who have done just that and should be commended. There should be a programs everywhere for teen mothers to help them with daycare, finishing school (if they didn't get a chance) and helping them obtain a job that they can be proud of.  I think that teen mothers have it so much harder than teen fathers! Too much emphasis is on the teen mom...what about the teen dads?  

Answer by Mom_2_3kids at 7:32 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I was a teen mom and it was the hardest thing i have ever done in my life.Between the friends that disappear and family pressure,you can hardly breath. And everyone wants to tell you what to do and how to do it and all you want to do is scream.If there is a choice to be made it should be to wait until you have more to offer your baby than an incomplete person, because as a teenager thats what you are. you are not done...with school,maturing,dating(almost impossible).Just deciding what your life will look like,it is all up in the air when you are a teenager.The baby deserves better.

Answer by jescamilla45 at 5:30 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• I think its best to wait till you are in the right mindset, there are too many things teens still have to do and learn and the novelty of a baby wears off quick and some of them dont have the ability to support the child, so i think its best to wait.

Answer by georgesmommy31 at 10:54 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

• Well it has nothing to do with age i know from personal experiance. I just turned 13 when i had my son i had him on christmas.I waqs homeschooled the first year of his life i get child support for him and i was getting WIC i live with my mom and i was going to a continuation school. i went for 3hrs and 22 mins a day and my mom watched him.I never beat him or neglect him he is a very happy go lucky child :D

Answer by phoebematthew at 1:03 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• I know young parents can be just as good. Only if they are willing to be.

Answer by hot-mama86 at 7:20 PM on Mar. 15, 2009