Do you like when complete strangers oooh and aaahh and touch your new baby?

I was at the grocery store when this stranger comes up to my shopping cart and starts ooohing and aaahing my infant, then goes on to pinch her cheeks!! I have no problems with people stopping me and looking at her, but to go that far! I was shocked. How would you react?

blondebabies

Asked by blondebabies at 3:27 PM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Hell no. Its annoying and rude. Complimenting and everything is fine, but the are all up in his face and try touching, etc. Very rude.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 3:29 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Oh but what I do is I make it impossible for them to touch him...if he';s in his sling, Ill cover him up and smile.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 3:30 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• i told a person once not to touch my son. it pissed me off. i love when they ooh and ahh over him but no uh uh no you don't touch other peoples babies. you don't know where theyre hands have been
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 3:31 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Uhhh....I hate it!!! I have a 4 year old and it still drives me crazy when people touch her especially strangers! But my Newborn it really makes me mad. If I can tell a stranger or even someone I don't know so well looks like they are going to touch her, I just try and kinda pull her away alittle bit not so that it seems rude but just enough toware they get to know that I don't want her touched. I also am a very nonconfrontational person so it's really hard for me to say anything so thats what I have come to do.
    bellasmommy09

Answer by bellasmommy09 at 3:35 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I think its cute as long as they have boundaries. Once on a plane the lady next to me was playing with my daughter and pulling on her socks.. it was cute so I let it slide, but I wouldn't want anyone coming up to me and touching her face or giving her something. Talking to her is fine if she's smiling.. but I don't go out of my way to let people have a conversation with my daughter either.
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 3:36 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• No, touching is not acceptable. I am reminded, in fact, of when my children were infants and I'd take them to the pediatrician. The assistant would come in and without washing her hands weight and measure the baby- touching him of course to do so. I was shocked that she may have been touching sick children and would not take measures to clean up before my child. I was thinking maybe she washed before coming in, but there was a sink right in the room, and she didn't use it before leaving either. This went on until we no longer went there. I was too shy to say anything, but I wish that I would have.

Answer by Bmat at 3:38 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I haven't had to deal with that a whole lot...lots of people come to look, but most people around here seem to understand that you don't touch other people's kids!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 4:00 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Not too fond, but I left it go. I had an older man walk up and pat my dd on the head. She looked at him and smiled, made some noises and went back to her food (around a year old). I felt sort bad b/c you never know the situtation. What if he had a grandaughter her age that he doesn't get to see very often. Getting to see my daughter could have been the highlight of his week! I can't take that away from someone. And it didn't hurt my dd any.
    Anonymous

• To Bmat. I rarely see them wash hands at my docs office too, but they also have a room in the back with a sink that they usually go to. SOme times the doc will pop in jsut to wash his hands while I'm in a room waiting. I'm sure they do wash their hands, you just don't see it.
    Anonymous

• I know that they have good intentions, but for the most part I don't like it when strangers touch my children.
    Lacey1012

Answer by Lacey1012 at 4:51 PM on Jan. 13, 2009