How do I be stern and stop laughing?

My husband is on my case because I have the inablility to be stern with our daughter. It's not my fault, tho. She's too funny. Like when I walked in the room and she was dancing on the coffee table. Yeah, I took her down, but I couldn't help laughing at her, so she didn't get the message that the coffee table isn't a good spot for dancing. It happens a lot, me laughing at her when I should be giving her a stern NO. How do I stop sending mixed signals?

lost_faery

Asked by lost_faery at 3:40 PM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I hear ya! It's very hard. I've got three boys and it seemed every one of them loved it when we laughed. If I have a quick moment to re-group I usually turn away, get myself together and then proceed with being stern. If I brake a smile, it's over! I've even had to think of something that gets under my skin just to get through it. Good luck. Hope this helps.
    momof3boyz777

Answer by momof3boyz777 at 3:46 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Just gotta hold it in. Try to think of all the bad things that could happen.
    Anonymous

• Lol i so feel you here girl. My DD makes me laugh all the time even though I know I need to be stern with her. Its hard sometimes because she laughs at me when I try to be because she is trying to make me laugh and I lose it everytime lol.
    Morgan.

Answer by Morgan. at 7:45 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Be firm and fun, "Oh no! You mustn't dance on the coffee table!" and start dancing with her on the floor or in your arms or..."But we can dance here..." and let your laughter spill. They are so much fun! But look for ways to be firm, if really necessary (coffee table is necessary), and add fun whenever you can! The world needs more people laughing!
    TeaAnderson

Answer by TeaAnderson at 7:58 PM on Jan. 13, 2009