HELP!!! I am at my witts end on getting my 3 1/2 year old son to potty train.

I have done all I know what to do with my 3 1/2 year old son to fully potty train. I have even put the big boy under pants with Lighting Mcqueen on htem sence he loves him so much, but that didnt even work he still went potty in those too. He will go if I take him to the potty, and sometimes will tell us he has to go potty when we are out eatting, but when we are at home he will use it in his pull ups. He wears pull ups during the day, and the Huggies night time diapers at night. He will even get upset if I say do you need to go potty and if he said no and I know he has to and make him them he will get upset, but then I was right and he did had to go. I am at my witts end, and do not know what else I can do. Please someone HELP!!! me.

Thanks Angie

Angiefaye

Asked by Angiefaye at 3:41 PM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Have you tried getting him to pee outside? Cherrios in the potty? Let him wet hiself, than maybe he will get tired of being wet and the smell... All this worked with mine when i started...
    HottMamaRossx2

Answer by HottMamaRossx2 at 3:47 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Do you have him go often enough to the potty? Like every 30 min or every hr? Or do you wait till he tells you or pees or poops himself? Maybe start to take away toys till he goes. That age he should know better.
    Anonymous

• I am in the same position we have tried everything. Running naked, cheerios, m&ms after a successful trip, the timer down to 15 min. And we are still having problems. But he is the same way when he is at a store or in the vehicle he will tell us but other than that at g-ma's he does better but still doesn't always go to the potty but at home it's like he doesn't care. We only use pull ups at night because changing the sheets daily was not cool. But he does tend to go through 3 or 4 pairs of underpants a day. DH and I are both at our wits end, nothing seems to work and if it does it only works for a day or 2 and then back to accident central.
    My2BoyznMe0508

Answer by My2BoyznMe0508 at 3:57 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Relax and stop pushing it. Yes, it stinks to continually have to clean it all up. One day the switch will go off in his head and he'll get it. My son is 4 1/2 and I would say the last 6 months we've had no accidents. He was pooping in the potty long before peeing all the time. I tried rewards, m&m's etc. When they are ready, they are ready. It is frustrating for everyone, even him believe it or not. Each child is different, there is no "correct" age.
    good luck
    chuggerboysmom

Answer by chuggerboysmom at 4:42 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Okay, He's ready for big boy undewear during the day
    At night still get the pull ups,The one's with the sides that are velcro
    My daughter didn't start wanting to go,2years 9months,And he will still have a few accidents
    wether it be pottying or pooping in his underwear,you'll have to hand wash them in hot soapy water and dispose of what poop you can into the toilet.
    Just take him in the bathroom when you go,and put him on the potty,
    also get a potty seat that has the handles on it,it'll be easier for him.
    Have a step stool so he can get up /off when he needs to.
    This isn't easy!! Also a tip,When they're crying /upset put them on the potty as soon as you can!
    they'll go potty almost right away. I live with my parents still,so they help me out
    but I'm doing it by myself. So try these methods and We can get eachother thru this!
    I hope I helped you! oh dont' get angry if he has accidents, he's going to!
    Lisa
    AnnaBear21106

Answer by AnnaBear21106 at 8:11 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Do not use pullups (at night time only). It confuses them to go back and forth between undies and pullups. I know that it's a pain to have to keep cleaning up after him, but he'll get tired of being wet. Also, don't ask him if he needs to go because his answer will always be "No." Tell him he has five minutes and then it's time to go potty. I found if I warned my son ahead of time he didnt' fight me as much. We tried for about 9 months and all it took for him was to see his older cousin (4) go potty. After that he started telling us every time that he needed to go and a little later he got the poo thing. He still has an accident every once in a while, but that's expected. Unfortunately there really isn't a magic trick. He has to be ready and until then it's a waiting and cleaing game. Good Luck!
    danalou

Answer by danalou at 12:31 PM on Jan. 14, 2009