How much should I be feeding my 1 month old.

My baby just turned a month old today. I am giving her about 3 oz. at every feeding. Most of the time she acts like she is full but sometimes she will cry and be hungry 10 to 20 minutes later. I give her an ounce more but sometimes she spits it ALL back up as if I am over feeding her. Also she is still feeding every 2 hours especially at night. Should I be giving her more??? Will she stay full longer or am I doing the right thing?

bellasmommy09

Asked by bellasmommy09 at 3:43 PM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Bump it up to a 4oz feeding and let her have at it. Feed on demand and let her call the shots. If she's spitting up that extra ounce, maybe try to see if she just kind of wants something to suck? Does she use a pacifier? If she does, and if she has the pacifier but still fusses, she's hungry. (also watch for the rooting reflex...yes, formula fed babies have it, too)

Try to burp after every ounce or maybe 2...

If you're mixing formula from powder, mix it further ahead of time and then heat the bottle from the fridge...give the air bubbles time to dissipate. (keeps extra gas out of her stomach)

But the main thing...let her call the shots for feedings....
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 3:53 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• i would make a 4 oz bottle each time and let her eat as much as she wants, she will only eat what she wants, make sure u burp her about half way through... that might be why she is spitting up.... if u are BF the let her eat as much as she wants too she will stop when she is full.... every baby eats a different amount off food and being that young she is eating about the right amount and every 2-4 hrs in about right... until she is a little older she will eat that often
    Anonymous

• If she is crying 10 minutes later, and you know she has routinely been throwing up the extra ounce that you give her, i would try burping her again. It may just be gas.

Baby will let you know when she is hungry, and it is pretty normal at that age to wake up and eat every 2-3 hours. I got lucky and my daughter slept for 4 hours at a time at night. But remember that their bellies are tiny, so really they can't fit much more than what they are eating in there.

No worries momma, it sounds like you are doing the right thing. It will get easier with time, this is just the beginning!
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 3:49 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• As much as s/he wants! :)
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 3:58 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• My doctor told me I could feed my baby as much as he wants. He used to be satisfied with 2 oz. before and now its up to 3-4 oz. If your baby is throwing it up...try burping her every ounce. Also feed her when she wants...babies usually are hungry every 2-3 hours. If she keeps throwing up the formula at every feeding...call your doctor. My baby started doing this and we had to take him to the ER...he had an ultrasound and found he had Pyloric Stenosis. He had surgery and is fine now. (Didn't mean to scare you but just be alert.)
    Anonymous