Basset Hound Question. Any info would be great!

I have a Basset Hound (10 months old). When he gets up from sleeping, his joints seem to give him trouble. His legs get stiff easy. I was wondering if this is normal for a Basset Hound. I was wondering if anybody else has a Pure Bred Basset with the same problems.
Thanks!

bookay

Asked by bookay at 3:49 PM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Pets

• Yep very very normal they have lots of problems with thier joints and things its the odd way thier bodies made up!! My ex inlaws had one and by the time she was 7 or 8 she had to be heavily medicated to even walk cause she was in so much pain.... and the vet said this is a very normal thing for that breed of dog!! I have a 2 1/2 year old Rottweiler and he is having major hip problems already and thats just something that happens with the breed!!
    scaredmommy08

Answer by scaredmommy08 at 3:59 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• It is normal for that breed of dog. Devastating but common. Remember to keep the dogs weight within the healthy range. Extra weight can amplify the symptoms. This is going to sound strange but there is such a thing as physical therapy for dogs as well as doggy massage. It does help quite a bit but it is kind of pricey. Swimming is a great activity for bassets since there is no pressure on their joints but it burns calories to prevent weight gain but ultimately if your dog seems to be in a lot of pain he will probably need some pain medicine from your vet. I LOVE basset hounds. I had the sweetest one growing up but Lord did he have a laundry list of problems.
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 4:26 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Hip Dysplasia is what it sounds like. Radiographs can confirm that. You can try giving your dog glucosamine. That helps with joints. Human glucosamine is the same as what dogs get. Maybe give that a try and see what happens. It's an every day med for the rest of the dog's life.
    momiwant1

Answer by momiwant1 at 10:40 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• my BH has probles with that two he just turned a year old
    he will limp around for about ten min the nlay back down till he can walk again
    19bubbles91

Answer by 19bubbles91 at 1:37 AM on Jan. 14, 2009