Have you and your SO written out a will and got your affairs in order just in case of tragedy...to make sure your child is cared for?

If so how did you do it? Do you have to see attorneys? And how much is the fee?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:53 PM on Jan. 13, 2009 in General Parenting

• Yes, we went to our attny. We also check it every 12 months to make sure it is up to date. I highly recommend everyone doing the same.
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 4:01 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• My husband is in the military, so he has to keep an updated will at all times. I keep saying I need to get one done, but I never have. Right now, we really don't know what would happen to our kids, we really don't have anyone we would feel comfortable leaving them with. His sister can barely take care of the kids she has, my sister is in a verbally abusive relationship, both of our parents are getting too old to take care of them, and the kids godparents just got a divorce. I don't know about attorney fees and what not, because with us being military, we see military lawyers and it doesn't cost us anything.
    mauspond

Answer by mauspond at 4:02 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• It doesn't cost too much.. I'd say under $100, the lawyer should at the same time discuss living wills, DNR issues, power of attorney, and other legal issues.

Answer by Bmat at 4:20 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• We are working on it. I got the book "Quicken WillMaker Plus" by Nolo. Nolo is a publishing company that writes "law self-help" books. It came with the software by Quicken and it steps you through writing a will and all the other things you may need. It was only about $35 at Amazon and is well worth it!
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:20 PM on Jan. 13, 2009