Diarrhea, How long before you go to doc??

My dd has had diarrhea for almost a week now. It started has loose watery stools, then it went to just very very very watery stools where there was still some substance to them and this morning there was just water with a few drops of stool. It is going up the back of the diapers and out the legs. Since 7:30 this am we have changed three diapers, which she is down for her nap now so it might be four soon.

Everything I look up says five to seven days is common but I just wanted your input also. I have called the doc but have not received a call back. I am worried about dehydration. I am not 100% sure not to check for it in a toddler she is 23 months old.

No one else in the house is sick, so I have no idea what is going on.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:55 PM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If there's a fever with it then after 2 days straight of the fever.

If it's just diarrhea, then we go when it's been over a week.

Make you you watch for signs of dehydration though! Keep pushing those fluids!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 3:59 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Two of my three boys at this age had Rotovirus. It is usually only this sever in children three and younger. It is very serious diarrhea and they both ended up in the hospital after about three to four days on an IV for fluid. I don't remember a fever but the diarrhea you explained sounds just the same. Do a search for this virus and see what it tells you. I know every child is different but if it was me, I'd take her to get checked out just to be safe. Good luck
    momof3boyz777

Answer by momof3boyz777 at 4:05 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• bump for more answers maybe???
    Anonymous

• No matter how long the guidelines say - when in doubt, go with your gut feeling. Does she act sick? Does she just want to lay around and do nothing? The biggest indicator of how sick a child is is how they act.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:16 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I quick way to check for dehydration. On the top of your hand gently pinch your skin and watch. See how quickly it goes back to normal? Now do the same to your child. If it's slow dehydration is starting, get her to the doctor. If it stays up get her to the ER so they can get an IV in her.
    Chrissy629

Answer by Chrissy629 at 8:23 AM on Jan. 15, 2009