How do I know if my 3 year old is where he needs to be developmentally?

Is he learning enough in preschool? Is his preschool teaching him anything? I don't know what to ask his teachers because I'm not sure what he should be doing. I see other kids (mostly 4 year olds) writing their name already and he isn't even close to that. Other kids are a whiz at the computer and mine is just starting out. Is he behind or are others ahead or how much does it matter at 3 years old? AAHHHH!!!

sjsmom

Asked by sjsmom at 3:59 PM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Well you could go to wal-mart and they have a preschool book and start teaching him a new page everynight thats what we did... Then you will know what he should be doing.. Look up online the requerments on K... Then just start getting him ready...
    HottMamaRossx2

Answer by HottMamaRossx2 at 4:10 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• He's only 3. The stuff you talk about is stuff they are taught in preschool!! In 4 year old preschool...pre-K...that is.

Ask his teachers what he is doing. Ask his teachers what he is learning. Ask his teachers what you should work on at home to reinforce what he is learning in school....

As for what a 3 year old should be able to do in general, I don't know. Mine are ahead of their individual age groups so I'm told...
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:13 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Research your answers, ask your pediatrician, ask the teachers. There are lots of books about developmental markers - in fact, our state sends out information to all parents about what developmental markers their children are or should be reaching. The key thing to remember is that every child develops and reaches milestones differently (sometimes in different order than "normal"). If he's in preschool, the school should have handouts they can give you so you can determine if your child is on par. If the school is worried, then they should discuss with you. Build a relationship with your child's teachers - now and when they enter regular school. Don't leave yourself in the dark.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 4:36 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Just work on the basics with him. Puzzles, coloring, learning letters, numbers, colors, shapes. See if he can do certain things you think he should be doing. Can he cut paper with scissors? These are all things I work on with my son. Just some suggestions!

Also does his teacher send home a daily, weekly, or monthly report? If not request one, ask him general questions as to what they did that day!
    Anonymous

• My daughter, Alexis, started preschool 2 weeks ago.. it seems like she's almost forgetting things and not being taught at the same level I was teaching her at home.. I guess basically she's in there to interact with other kids! She's 3 and knows how to play games and type some words on the computer, she can write her own name and every letter in the alphabet.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 7:49 PM on Jan. 13, 2009