Who can tell me any of the bad things about my husband going to the Army that the Army won't tell me?

My husband is wanting to join the military and I am very nervous about it. I know that our recruiter will only tell us what we want to hear. What about all the rest? What about all the negative stuff? Is there any? I can deal with it but I need to know WHAT I'm going to have to deal with. I don't like going into something without all the facts. Good or bad. But I feel like we are getting everything sugar coated! Help!

spoken4_lady

Asked by spoken4_lady at 4:00 PM on Jan. 13, 2009 in About CafeMom

• Nothing is sugar coated about going in, anyone and everyone should know that and should be prepared for the worst even in basic training. Your hubby has to decide if this is truly what he wants to do. He can't have anyone decide for him.

Anonymous

• hahah oh yeah they suger coat it by all means. Its not all bad but it is a hard life syle. You will have to move once he is out of training plus as you know there are alot of deployments going on right now so chances are soon after hes out of training and to a unit some where he will be preparing to deploy which means your left alone for 12 to 15months.
    the medical benafits are good the drs and nurses are good as far as education goes but the hospitals can be a bit slow. You wont be making a ton of money like they tell you.
    It really isnt all bad though it just depends on what you make of it. there is alot of drama though but if you can just stay away from it the better off you will be if you have any question you can feel free to email me.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 4:04 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I would suggest joining a military spouses group here, they would be able to answer it.

I'm in the army, but I'm not the spouse. I don't know what it's like, to be honest. Those ladies would be better at answering than I would about being married to a military person.

I hope that helps.

BTW, as an army soldier, I would actually suggest to him to join the Air Force. They treat their people WAY better, and there's better housing ETC.
    weezer_cookie

Answer by weezer_cookie at 4:07 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Well, my husband is active duty Air Force, and one thing I can tell you is that any branch of the armed forces they will move alot. You will often be told you get base of preference, don't believe that. You will be told the pay is great, well I don't agree with that. Basically to see a significant pay rate change they have to put on rank. I know in the Air Force they have to pass a test and if they don't pass they don't put on rank and so therefore, they won't see a significant pay rate change. As a spouse it is often difficult to find work, because we are always bouncing around from base. My husband has been in for 13 years and he has yet to get a base of preference. When my mom was ill and diagnosis with terminal cancer we tried the huminitarian and it didn't work. Tell him to go to school and find something else.
    SimplyCreative

Answer by SimplyCreative at 4:13 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• hunny i could go on and on and on.... i say let him join but be prepared to deal with crap... my husband deals with it all the time... its not a reason not to join tho... what does he want to do?

JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 5:01 PM on Jan. 13, 2009