• In the Spotlight:

why do some women conceive so much easier than others?

I was one of the lucky ones, both kids were conceived the first month we tried.

But I know some couples take a long time or can't do it at all.

Women only release one egg at a time, normally, right? So is it all in the man's sperm count that makes the difference? Are men who ejaculate a lot of semen from their penis more fertile? Or is it more a matter of chance?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:07 PM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• Know one can answer that. It is body makeup. The position of the tubes.. ect
    Godswk

Answer by Godswk at 4:13 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• There are a lot of medical reasons..One in particular that I know about is endometriosis. I am not able to have anymore children because of that. Sadly I am only 26 years old and am facing a hysterectomy. Luckily I was blessed with one beautiful child, but will not be able to have any more. A friend of mine has PCOS-Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome. That is another cause for trouble conceiving. Low Sperm Count... Those are just a few that I can think of right off the top of my head

Anonymous

• Blocked fallopian tubes, scars in the uterus, MANY different things.

The amount of ejaculate a man has does not determine if his sperm are fertile. The seminal fluid is just a way to transport the sperm from the body. It does, however need to be millions of sperm in ejaculate for just one to survive and possibly fertize an egg.

According to NaPro Technology, the normal sperm count should indicate that the number of sperm is 20 million/cc or greater and that the motility (the percentage of sperm that are moving) should be greater than 70 percent. In addition, the morphology (the shape of the sperm) should exceed 60 percent.

Does this help?
    misterri

Answer by misterri at 5:00 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Yes misterri, thanks, that does help.

I guess I was wondering if more ejaculate = more sperm as well, or are they unrelated things?

I never realized that there were so many possible things that can go wrong and interfere with reproduction!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:46 AM on Jan. 14, 2009