how do you stop a 22 month toddler from hitting other children

My baby likes to play aggressively. Everytime there are other children around he hits and pushes them. Evertime he does it I make sure to tell him, that it is wrong to hit and push. Some people think that I hit him and that's the reason why he's aggressive. NOT TRUE! but it is emabarrasing. We live in a small apartment he doesn't have much space to run around. It's kinda hard to take him to a playground because I have a 5 month old baby that I just can't leave there because I have to make sure my other baby is not hitting or pushing. Another thing he's not like that at home it's only when he's around new children and adults . Thank you for listening. Hopefully your advice will help me.

sirena08

Asked by sirena08 at 4:13 PM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My toddler is also 22 months. When I see him going to hit I'd stop him and redirect him to something else. This has worked very well with my son, he doesn't hit at all anymore(well, he does hit his sister but she annoys him on purpose,lol) Where exactly would you be leaving the other baby? Could you wear him in a sling so you'd be able to tend to your toddler? I had a very strong willed 3 year old(along with a 5, 6 and 8 year old) when my youngest was born and I had no trouble chasing him. We go to the playground when it's warm 1-2 times a week for several hours.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 8:25 PM on Jan. 13, 2009