How can I stop my two year old form opening the door as soon as someone knocks?

Today the morman's came around and he ran up to the door when they knocked and unlocked it! Of course I came behind him and the dog was flipping..... but how embarrassing for me to open the door in my robe AND in the future, you never know who it could be!

AshJoe05

Asked by AshJoe05 at 4:14 PM on Jan. 13, 2009 in General Parenting

• Keep the door locked.

If he figures out the lock, install one up high at your level.

Not just for "oops, me in my robe" moments but also for safety.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 4:15 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Install a push lock at the top of the door so the child can't even get to it by climbing on something. We never had to have one on the doors to the outside, but we do have one on the cellar door.

Answer by Bmat at 4:18 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• It has two locks and he figured out both!!!
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 4:28 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Yeah, definitely some sort of child proof lock is necessary. You never know who it could be, or even worse your child could open the door when you're not looking and escape.
    mauspond

Answer by mauspond at 4:28 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• A chain lock too high for him to reach. Then if he opens it, it's not opened all the way!
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:17 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Install a safety lock at the top of the door so he can't open it.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 5:17 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• We have the covers over the door knobs. My girls are 6 and they still work.
    dle4125

Answer by dle4125 at 7:02 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• We put latches above all of our doors that are our ht. That helped w/ one of ours. She would go out in the middle of the night. Oh they are so scary at that age.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 7:19 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• PRACTICE the behavior you want from him. Do it over and over - let him know that only an adult should open the door and then practice - have neighbors knock and remind him that he needs to be behind you when you open the door. Practice until he has it down. If he refuses to follow that rule even after practicing, then get a latch or safety lock that's too high for him to reach even with a stool.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 10:19 PM on Jan. 13, 2009