when do you request an epidural? how long does it last?

has anyone ever had to request a second epidural? i heard there was a cut off point from when you could have one but i dont know when that is?

charlene29

Asked by charlene29 at 4:22 PM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I'm not sure when your're cut off from being able to have one but I know you have to be, I think, at least 4cm dilated before they will adminstor one.
    blainesmommy03

Answer by blainesmommy03 at 4:25 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• They is only a certain amount of time that u can get it... the doctor will let you know when that is, it is different for everyone... it depends on how fast u r moving along and progressing... It wears off in about 6 hrs or so some people feel it longer and some less, thats why u need to talk to ur doc about it. now personally i would get the other meds instead of the epidural.
    Anonymous

• Oh, and it can wear off. I think it depends on the person and the circumstances though. I ended up with a C section and my epidural wore of when they were stitching me back up. It was scary to say the least! They gave me something right away that made me totally out of it.
    blainesmommy03

Answer by blainesmommy03 at 4:27 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I requested mine as soon as I found out I was pregnant.

They didn't give me one. *sigh*

I knew ahead of time I would want one, so it was already set up that I would have one.

I know it will vary, but I *think* you can still get it up to about 8cm?

As for it wearing off, I was in labor with my youngest for 15 hours and it didn't wear off. It's on a slow drip so it was constant. They did turn it down when I started pushing and off when the baby crowned.

Not a problem here as my first was born with 7 1/2 hours of labor and 50 minutes of pushing (induced)...my second was born after 2 1/2 hours of labor and 1 1/2 pushes (induced) my third I went into labor on my own...hence the 15 hours. He was born 26 minutes after they broke my water.

After they turned it off at crowning, I was up and walking around within 3 hours. A little wobbly, but walking.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:34 PM on Jan. 13, 2009