what are other options besides an epidural?

i've only heard of stay-dol (sp?)...sorry I know I need to talk to my doctor about this but I have time to kill on the computer right now so thought I'd ask others their opinion..?

charlene29

Asked by charlene29 at 4:30 PM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Pregnancy

• demeral and nubain

Answer by gemgem at 4:31 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• dermerol there are several iv drugs you can get while in labor it is up to your dr and what he uses. honstly it doesnt help much with the pain it just makes you and baby really sleepy.
    Anonymous

• I used stadol with both of my children and no epidural and it worked great for me. Of course when the stadol wore off and I wanted an epidural it was to late. PM me if you want and I will give you a better story of what happened.
    ilovemyboys2

Answer by ilovemyboys2 at 5:01 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• a doula :) Seriously, using a doula can reduce the need/request for pain medication up to 70%
    www.dona.org
    www.cappa.net
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 5:22 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• It really depends on your hospital,but the most common are stadol, demerol and nubain. Not medical would be hypno babies and things like Lamaze. A really good thing to remember is to grunt and groan, don't scream it is just a waste of energy. If you do chose a medical pain relief make sure you know all the potential side effects, your Doctor should inform you and you can check for your self by getting in contact with the FDA go to thier site or call or simply goggle somthing like "FDA Stadol". Information is the best tool you can go in to labor with. Good Luck I hope you have a peaceful labor and a healthy baby.
    Philsgirl21

Answer by Philsgirl21 at 5:23 PM on Jan. 13, 2009