Put your faith aside for a moment....

We all have our individual faiths and our own beliefs on the higher powers (or lack there of.) My question is, if you truly believe in your faith and your faith alone, what does your religion do for you? Could you get by without it?

(Not for debate, just really interested in what an organized religion really does for some.)

njmommy2boys

Asked by njmommy2boys at 4:44 PM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• It is part of the human condition. We seek reasons for everything. Religion gives us hope that everything we're doing in life is for a purpose and that we're not just here to waste space for a few short years and die off. We are conditioned to search for truth and answers. We are terrified of the unknown and religion gives us comfort in the unknown (death). It gives us hope that the short time we have on earth isn't all we have...that there more to it than this short life. I could not live without my faith..I do not go to church anymore but that doesn't mean I don't believe and worship god, I'd just rather do it on my own where the company is trusted and not judgemental and hipocritical.
    amyrw

Answer by amyrw at 10:10 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• My religion gives me hope and peace of mind, i don't think I could get by without that
    HollyRose

Answer by HollyRose at 4:46 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• My religion gives me hope, a relationship with God and the promise of going to heaven. It gives me way too much to really list so I wont. No I couldnt live without my religion/relationship with God.

Answer by gemgem at 4:47 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• That's what I don't understand. Doesn't your faith give you hope and a relationship? What does the actual Religion give you?
    njmommy2boys

Answer by njmommy2boys at 4:48 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Religion is just the name, what you do with it is personal.

Answer by gemgem at 4:49 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• IMO, organized religion pretty much just gives you other people of like mind to fellowship with. Faith is all that's important to your relationship with God, not what "religion" you follow. Yeah, I could easily get by without "religion," but not without faith.
    TeeJai

Answer by TeeJai at 4:50 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

i am with you there. i am a born again christian, but i dont claim a "religion". those that do-thats o.k. for them. but my relationship with God exists because of my faith in Him. God is not a certain religion. he is neither democrat or republican. nor is he even american. He is God. that is all I need.
    ivelostmyself

Answer by ivelostmyself at 4:57 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I'm an Atheist, but I certainly see the benefits of religion...

It gives people a sense of fellowship, a place to discuss and deepen their understanding of the principles of their faith, it gives people a chance to build relationships with other families that share their values and views, it gives them a venue to offer community service...not that there aren't other ways to obtain these things, but the church is a great resource for a lot of people
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 5:04 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I never got anything out of organized religion that wasn't negative so I don't believe in it anymore.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 5:12 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• well since i have learned a lot and can live my life by the teaching i have learned i would do ok but i wouldn't have the blessing i get from god from attending and also for not doing my service to others as god would have me do. i would miss out on friends that support my beliefs and help strengthen me. my church has whats called relief society. we are asked to visit our ladies in our church once a month. to build friendship and give any needs if needed to them. also my kids would miss out on their weekly meetings with other kids and learn life lessons. this wkend my son has a fishing trip. which was fun the last time he went. my other son has a snow trip the next wkend. that should be fun. they will have friendship with others in their class.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 5:16 PM on Jan. 13, 2009