Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

my son just matriculated and is trying to get a job.he is interested in getting an apprentiship in electrical.can anyone help...please

matriculants and jobs

Answer Question

Asked by mamablingbling at 4:45 PM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Money & Work

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (5)
  • Ok, I feel stupid, I had to look up "matriculated"

    You should see if you have a local I.B.E.W. (international brotherhood of electrical workers)

    Answer by customcat2000 at 4:58 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

  • I don't know how exactly an apprenticeship works, but I know around here, my parents got into electrical work by applying to be an electrician's helper and working their way up from there. I don't know if that's much help, but it's all I've got. Tell your son good luck! :)

    Answer by tropicalmama at 5:05 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

  • Customcat2000, I wouldn't feel stupid. "matriculated" is Latin and unless you are a Mason it's not common. Actually the only group of people I've ever heard use that word are "The Masons".

    But anyway, he needs to become an electrician's helper first and then take classes. Any home/business security company or HVAC company hires electrician's helpers. They work under a licensed electrician. To become an electrician's helper you just need to make out the paperwork, pay the fee and send it in. Vah Lah - you are an electrician's helper.

    Answer by at 7:13 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

  • Your State Department of Labor, Workforce Development Office or Employment Security Commission should have information on available apprenticeships. If you need assistance in finding a local office you can send me a message and I will see what I can do.

    Answer by Magpie75 at 12:13 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

  • My husband is an electrician and the best way to get into the electrical field is to find an electrical company and get hired on as a laborer then go get his apprentice license and start going to school. However most place of work will reimburse him for each year he completes. After he has completed 4 years of school he can apply for his Journeyman License.Good Luck

    Answer by leeann0243 at 8:23 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.