When will my baby be able to sit up on his own?

I have a 3 month old...around what age will he start sitting up on his own? he can hold his head up by himself pretty well already...are there any tips i could use to help him learn how to situp?

JulesMommy1008

Asked by JulesMommy1008 at 4:46 PM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• he will be able to sit up on his own sometime soon or maybe even later. BUT you shouldnt let him sit up for longer than a few seconds until he is 10months old.

the spine is too weak to handle the pressure.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 5:01 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I've never heard of not letting them sit up for long periods of time until 10 months. Some kids are crawling and starting to take their first steps by then. By 6 months your baby should be able to sit up for a couple of seconds on their own, 7 months a couple min, 8 months for a while.
    Anonymous

• Your baby will probably learn to sit independently between the ages of 4 and 7 months. This is about the same time that he'll master rolling over and holding his head up. About 90 percent of babies can sit well for several minutes without support by the time they're 8 months old. (Even babies who've mastered sitting will topple over eventually, often because they lose interest in being upright.)

a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 5:17 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• While you can prop your baby in a sitting position almost from day one, true independent sitting doesn't begin until he has head control. Starting at about 4 months, your baby's neck and head muscles strengthen rapidly, and he'll learn to raise and hold his head up while he's lying on his stomach.
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 5:18 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Next he'll figure out how to prop himself up on his arms and hold his chest off the ground, sort of a mini-pushup. By 5 months he may be able to sit momentarily without assistance, though you should stay nearby to provide support and surround him with pillows to cushion a possible fall.

Soon your baby will figure out how to maintain his balance while seated by leaning forward on one or both arms. By 7 months he'll probably be able to sit unsupported (which will free his hands for exploring), and he'll learn how to pivot to reach a desired object while sitting. At this point he may even be able to get from his tummy into a sitting position by pushing up on his arms. By the time he's 8 months old, he'll likely be sitting well without support.
    a_and_j_momma

• most baby get up by 9 month to 2 years ol, finaly my son get up by 11 month. my niece get up 10 month old. is ok to help them learn how sit up but not easy. i do want my son get up fast before 11 month. grr oh well that life. take time and not ruch in. wink
    whoishotmama

Answer by whoishotmama at 5:21 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• He'll do it when he's good and ready. :) As far as for what you can do to help, tummy time, is good for everything! My guy has been sitting up on my lap since he was two months, and is slowly starting to figure it out on his own...he just tips over rather quickly! :) Just like everything else, they all do it at different times.

And you don't have to watch how long he sits for, that's an old wive's tale!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 5:22 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• It's not good for a baby to sit up if they need to be proped with pillows or a special seat... like one of the other posters mentioned. But if they are able to do it on their own then they are ready. My son started sitting on his own at 5 1/2 months.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 7:50 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Just a FYI, I got my info from a pediatric website, I didn't type all that...copy and paste lol
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 12:01 AM on Jan. 14, 2009