should there be a bumper in the crib?

I heard that there shouldn't be anything in the crib when they are a newborn. So how do you dress them at night when they sleep? And when they get older and start sticking their arms through the crib, is that dangerous?

charlene29

Asked by charlene29 at 4:48 PM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• id say a bumper is just fine as a newborn is fine its when they start moving around that you dont want things in the crib as they could sufficate. but a newborn as we all know doesnt move if you put them in the center thats where they will be a hour later.
    Anonymous

• You have to answer that question for yourself.

I had a bumper. I had the baby in a onesie and a sleeper. I put him (any of the three) on his tummy and put a blanket over him. (mid winter here...cold and hard to heat apartments) I was fine with our choices for our kids.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:50 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I use the breathable bumpers.. so if baby's face gets upagainst it they can breathe right through them.. They are a soft mesh and also keeps baby from getting limbs stick in between the bars and getting hurt
    emturner

Answer by emturner at 4:51 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• yes... they so no bumper because they dont want the baby getting suffacated... i had my son in a bassinet right next to me as a newborn.... i would stay away from teddy bears and thick blankets and stuff of that sort until they can move there heads back and forth and have hand control...just to be safe...

they have these like blanket jackets you can zip them in.. its a blanket but they wear it while they sleep so they cant pull the blanket over there head... cant think of the name of them but i know they sell them in walmart :)
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 4:52 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• i heard you shouldnt do it, when we already had the bumper on there for almost a year. after i heard what this stuff can cause i threw em out of the bed.

we had a summer baby, so we only had to dress her with a onsie and put a really light blanket (almost like a kitchen towel) on her, because it was way too hot.
    if u have a winter or cool spring baby, then just put them in a longsleeve pajama and maybe a sleeping bag. i love sleeping bags. so comfy and keeps them warm all the night :)

our dd always has her hands through thr crib. doesnt hurt and she is absolutely fine
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 4:59 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• It's not arms through the crib that's the problem, the rest of their body, plus the fact that baby may slam his or her body into the wooden slats--not too comfy!

Our crib has bumpers, and I intend to keep them in there. My son has already wedged himself against them, and just rolls away when this happens. I don't know if I would let him sleep in there if I didn't have a movement monitor, though...
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 5:10 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• For newborns, I wouldn't worry about too much in the crib since they aren't moving. It's when they start rolling a little that you hae to watch. When they are good at rolling, it's usually OK b/c they can roll off the item too. I used the bumper pad b/c my dd got her arms stuck and would freak out. Once she was old enough to stand in the crib, I took it out b/c she would stand on it.
    Anonymous

• For bedtime, I had cool long sleeve footed onsies. During the winters I had warmer ones. I also used a blanket. Dd would kick the blanket downwards away from her face so I didn't have to worry about that. Now at 19 months, she likes ot pull them over her face to go to sleep. She's silly. I have a thin, light weight blanket. The blanket would need to be scrunched up pretty good to sufficate and I always pull the blanket away before I go to bed.
    Anonymous

• We left the bumper in until dd started rolling over.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 5:43 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• A bumper can be a suffication risk when they start moving around the crib. And then when they get older and able to pull to stand they sometimes use it to climb out of the crib. They make bumpers that can keep their arms from getting in the slots but can easily breath through.
    (I took my bumper apart and made a curtain valance out of it and some small pillows for the rocking chair)
    As far as dressing... PJ's warm enough for the season and then when he was little a swaddle and now a light blanket over him.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 7:47 PM on Jan. 13, 2009