this is probably a really dumb question

Me and my boyfriend do not plan to get a bassinett. Is it okay for a newborn to go striaght into a crib after he is born? Im afraid to have the baby co sleep with us because we both move around so much in our sleep... we will have the crib in the same room....im a first time mom so im just trying to make sure my baby will be safe

SaraNicole715

Asked by SaraNicole715 at 4:52 PM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Pregnancy

• that is totally fine.. most ppl like the bassinett because you can put it anywhere and new babies wake alot during the night...
    emturner

Answer by emturner at 4:53 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• That is completely fine. I co-slept from the very beginning and I still cosleep my 3 year old, but my bed is full and I'm actually going to be using my pack and play that has the drop in bassinett insert pulled up next to my bed for a while.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 4:54 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• That is absolutely fine. a baby doesnt need a bassinett. we just had one because i thought they are amazingly cute. haha

and kudos to you for not wanting to co-sleep. thats the most dangerous thing you can do with a baby, specially a newborn.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 4:56 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• its ok people just like the bassinett cuz its small and easy to move around and you can put it closer to the bed. but i think they are a waist of money becuz baby doesnt fit in them long.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 4:56 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I did a bassinet because we could carry it up and down the stairs easily and have a bed downstairs for baby if we needed. If I was on a single floor, a bassinet wouldn't have even crossed my mind ;).
    LadyKiki

Answer by LadyKiki at 4:58 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I did the bassinet with my first- right next to the bed. And if he had a hard night we co-slept on the couch so daddy could get sleep in before work. With my second, my husband and I finally talked about it and he kinda liked having baby in the bed with us that early- he works long hours and can sleep through anything :) So he got to be close to baby and I actually woke him less the second go round because I wasn't jumping in and out of the bed- I just brought baby in once he woke, kwim? It's up to you and yours but I think it's easier than you realize. Moving a lot isn't always as big of an issue because hormones and instinct keep you from that with the lil on. But if the crib is right there, Idk why it would be a problem to not have the bassinet. There's lots of "must have" baby stuff that really isn't super necessary :)

CooksWife

Answer by CooksWife at 5:00 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• of yah my son hated absolutly hated the bassinet he wouldnt sleep in it. so we tryed his crib and he slept in it right away and has since the week he came home
    BabyAsMom88

Answer by BabyAsMom88 at 5:07 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• It's safe! I would suggest getting a pack n play with the top bassinet. You can find a cheap one for like $60. Then you won't have the bulky crib taking up as much space and you can put the pack and play right beside you (trust me.. As a first time mom you will want your baby as close to you as possible). Plus the pack n play is a great investment for when baby stays somewhere not at home, or you can also use it to let him/her play outside in :].
    lizafur13

Answer by lizafur13 at 5:10 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• My two babies slept in bed with me at the beginning because i was scared they would stop breathing when they were new born but like i said i was a new mom too. But i also could wake up to the sound of a pin drop. Im about to have my 3rd and i plan on getting a bassinet cause i don't want to have to get in and out of bed 3 and 4 times a night but i want the baby to be safe too. Cribs also work but it's probly smart and more safe to let the baby sleep in a crib.
    Anonymous

• although i LOVED my basinette, i didnt plan on using one at first... i thought it was a stupid idea to spend money on two baby beds... but it was honestly a good transition for my son.
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 5:15 PM on Jan. 13, 2009