How do I tell my 4year old he will have a baby brother or sister soon?

I have a 4year old son who I raised alone with the help from my mom. He asked a few times to take home one of his baby cousins and even asked for a little brother or sister. He is so use to just the two of us and had somewhat of a hard time getting use to another man in my life. What should I do? How do I tell him?????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:02 PM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Pregnancy

• well you just have to tell him mommy is having a baby and do your best to make him excited about it and tell him how much of a big boy he is and that he will be a great big brother. he will probably be more excited then you relize.
    Anonymous

• I just brought my hubby in one day... He never stayd past 9pm, he wasnt ever there when we got home first, i waited an entire year before i got married.... An i waited till i got a pic or the video of the baby before i told him about it... He just thought i was getting fat i guess... LOL Take baby steps with this mama...
    HottMamaRossx2

Answer by HottMamaRossx2 at 5:06 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• ask him .... hunny what would you think if mommy brought home a baby sister or brother for you? see what he says or how he reacts and then if he is excited which i want to say he will be than tell him
    Mommy2Be1212009

Answer by Mommy2Be1212009 at 5:11 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Just say to him, that mommy is going to have another baby, and that he'll be the big brother. Have him included in as much as possible. If you find several names that you like let him help make the decision. Have him pick out a toy to give to the new baby. We bought a toy for my oldest dd and said it was from the baby. She was really excited.(Mind you my oldest dd is going to be 5 and my youngest just turned 1).
    Lacey1012

Answer by Lacey1012 at 5:11 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Have him help with bring you diapers and wipes, pacifiers and toys things like that. Always reinforce that he's a good big brother. Tell him about all the good things that he'll have to teach the baby, like how to say please and thank you (okay so we use it to reinforce good behavior!! lol) and how to color and share. My daughters LOVE eachother (I wonder who long that will last) and get along really well. My oldest does show some signs of jealousy-which you will get no matter what you do.. But just really make sure to spend some quality time with him.

Good luck and congrats. He'll do great.
    Lacey1012

• Wait until after the first trimester
    Anonymous

• I'm a little bit nervous myself with my boy, he is 4 and turning almost 5 when the next baby arrives.... So I make sure to tell him everyday that mommy has a little baby on her tummy, and also ask him his likes and dislikes on names for the baby. It makes him feel important that he is "taking care" of mommy with daddy because mommy has a little "BEAN" on her belly. He is accepting it good so far! LOL
    BTW, I'm about 7 weeks pregnant, so we still have a long way to go! GOOD LUCK!!
    jcampos

Answer by jcampos at 5:14 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• BTW, how far are you?
    jcampos

Answer by jcampos at 5:16 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• trust me tell him from the start that is what i did with my daughter didn't want to hide it from her or for her too get pissed being left out she was 4 at the time i found out and just turned 5 about a week ago i am due in may and she will tell you that its her baby she loves the idea big time and if he is like you are saying wanting the baby cousins at your house he will love the idea of having his own and let him know that it his baby also not just mommy's and the babies daddy's my daughter is also from a previous relationship and she don't care she says shes my fiances lol
    greeniemommy

Answer by greeniemommy at 10:38 PM on Jan. 13, 2009