My 5 month old German Shepard ate a baby bird whole, do I worry?

We had a baby bird get stuck on our screened in sun porch... I got the dog inside without a problem... I went back out to prop the back door open so it could fly out, and the dog got to it instead (I know poor bird)...was wondering if the dog will be ok eating something wild like that?

lynn63042

Asked by lynn63042 at 5:02 PM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Pets

• Hey, Karma should be fine. Just keep an eye on her, if she starts to vomit or gets diarhea I would call the vet. But if she doesn't, she is fine. Don't feel bad about it, there are plenty of birds in the world.
    Reggie2

Answer by Reggie2 at 5:30 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• LOL I wouldn't worry about it....My dog used to kill and eat rats...Yes rats! He was an outside dog and whenever a rot came near him...SNAP! It was lunch! LOL
    mominbolt

Answer by mominbolt at 5:06 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Awwww, sad! I have had TWO dogs that have eaten birds...and both were just fine after, not infections or anything! Your doggie SHOULD be just fine!
    Jazzbo

Answer by Jazzbo at 5:06 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I would say the biggest concern would be the beak, bones, purferating his intestional track. Also if the bird was carrying any diseases. Just keep a close on eye on him. Watch for vomiting, lethargy, blood in stool, loss of appetite, etc. If he starts not acting right, take him to the vet.
    Angel8203

Answer by Angel8203 at 5:09 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Did you ask the vet?
    Anonymous

• Dogs are naturally raw meat eaters. Don't worry about it.
    Anonymous

• I would just keep an eye on him over the next 24-48 hours. If you see any problems. Call the vet!
    drherrmann

Answer by drherrmann at 5:13 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• ^^ what she said. My dog isn't all that bothered by birds..she barks...they fly...she stares like "wow dude!" Now my cat. She is a beast. She's went out on my roof to pounce on a few birds in her day...she's almost 12 years old now with arthritis. I always watch her after to make sure that there wasn't anything wrong with the bird. Raw meat is actually good for animals, you can look up the BARF diet. I do a mix of BARF and regular food, and I give them chicken all the time, at first my dog wasn't thrilled but now she likes it. Oh and I really dislike birds so sorry I don't feel all that bad for the bird :-(
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 1:57 AM on Jan. 14, 2009