My son has PDD and his dr. prescribed him medicine for seizures, is that bad?

I read on the directions and it says before taking that medicine the doctor should have done lab tests on him to make sure his platelets werent high, and he didnt even do that. Twice weve taken him to that doctor since hes the only one in my city for PDD and he always wants to be giving him different medication, he doesnt even observe him or test him out to see how hes doing, he takes us out of his room in less than 5 mintes. what should I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:28 PM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Two of my children are autistic. They were never given anything for seizures. If your son has never had seizures then he doesn't need that kind of medicine. I would look at finding another doctor. Or at least consulting one. Not all doctors are qualified to deal with PDD/Autism.
    L.A.F.outloud

Answer by L.A.F.outloud at 5:37 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Does your son have seizures? If so, he needs to be on a seizure controlling medication. As for the Dr himself. It is up to you to advocate for your child. If you are uncomfortable find another Dr. If it is bothering you that much a drive to another town is worth it. Never allow yourself to be dismissed by a Dr. They are not God. They are humans just like us. If you have questions you need answered don't leave until they are asked.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:38 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I would just like to mention that some medications serve more than one purpose, including medications that are usually used for seizures. It is a possibility that this is one of those medications. Ask the pediatrician for more information about this medication (the pharmacist is also a great person to ask questions about medication, usually happy to help where ever you have this medication filled). This might not be the case, but I just thought that I would mention the possibility. One of my own seizure medications has several other diseases that it can be used for as well.
    lucindamartinez

Answer by lucindamartinez at 6:19 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Echoing what the previous poster stated, many meds have "off label" uses. Many seizure meds (Topamax, Neurontin and Depakote come to mind) are used for other things (mood stabilizers, migraine control, pain medication (Neurontin is used for nerve pain)). If your son is aggressive, some seizure meds may be used for mood stabilization with much success.

On a related note, all three of my children have a genetic epilepsy syndrome and one of them is autistic and one has a vaccine injury (similar symptoms in autism and vax injury) and we've only had meds given for seizures...we've never been given meds for any of the autism or symptoms.
    Mamaoftwingles

Answer by Mamaoftwingles at 7:13 PM on Jan. 13, 2009