What's wrong with co-sleeping??

I see a lot of anti-co sleeping around here! How did people do it before cribs were invented? I am not saying it's for everyone, but is it really so dangerous? Could someone please share some facts with me! I am clueless :) The only reason I was against it at one point is because I didn't want it to become a habit... But my 8 month old is transfering pretty well... I remember cosleeping because I was afraid of stuff when I was younger... I just don't know! Why is it bad??

CooksWife

Asked by CooksWife at 5:38 PM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Theres nothing wrong with it. I recently learned that children who cosleep have higher IQ's, better self esteem, feel more secure, are more likely to try new things because they feel secure, and so thats that. My kids have always been cosleepers. My kids range from 3 to 19 and believe me they will move out of your bed on their own anyway, then you will miss the snuggling of a baby. I dont stress about it at all. I used to climb in bed with my mom in my teens if I had a nightmare. I came out just fine.

Answer by gemgem at 5:40 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Not bad for us . . . we love it!!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 5:41 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• My DH wanted our youngest dd to sleep with us, but I was against it for two reasons. 1. I didn't want it to become a habit and 2. my dh is such a heavy sleeper, that I was honestly concerned with the saftey of it. I don't agree with it, but that is just for my personal reasons, but if it works for others, more power to 'em.
    Lacey1012

Answer by Lacey1012 at 5:41 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I don't think theres anything wrong with it, i always know that they are safe and its soo easy to nurse.
    letlovegrow

Answer by letlovegrow at 5:42 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• You can't just say there is nothing wrong with it when babies are dying because of it. Wasn't there a grandmother in Nebraska who just accidently smothered her grandaughter because of that? She's on trial for manslaughter now.
    I think it depends on the person and the size of bed you have. Are you a light sleeper. Light oenough to know if you are on your child or if your child's mouth is up against you or your pillow? Is the bed large enough to fit you all safely?
    We have a King size bed so size was not a problem. Anytime baby slept with us she was on MY side because DH would have never noticed her.
    Its individual and its not always okay.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 5:44 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• my husband rolled over on our daughter while he was sleeping when she was a brand new baby. I had fallen asleep while breast feeding her cause I was so tired. He was working 2 jobs at the time and was also so tired that I almost could wake him up - except hitting the floor that hard woke him up pretty well. I never brought her to bed with me again ( while I was that tired).
    busygirl247

Answer by busygirl247 at 5:44 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• It just seems like many people are saying it is dangerous. I don't want to jepardize my child! But it seems safer to me to have him right there than tripping down the hall in the middle of the night :) Are they afraid of people rolling over on to them?

I had some big fear issues. Co-sleeping didn't help that and it actually seemed to make it worse. Like I never faced em on my own. That part worries me about it and is part of why I am transitioning my son. But if he is really upset, teething, sick- yeah he is coming in the bed with us! If my oldest liked cuddling, he'd be welcome too. But as is he'd likely just climb over us to play with the lamps or something :-D
    CooksWife

Answer by CooksWife at 5:47 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• It is not my place to tell anyonew what is right for their family. You have to do your homework and decide what is best for you. I can tell you why was it not even a consideration for us. #1- the loss of intimacy in our bedroom. We kept bassinets by our bed for 6-8 weeks..after that they were in cribs and they all dii just fine. #2- it is a habit that you have to break later. I think they moving from your bed to their own causes great stress for children.

I am bolstered in my beliefs every time I see a Mom post a question..."I can't get my 2 yr old (insert any age you want) out of our bed"
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:48 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• It wasn't for us. Hubby was and still is a HARD sleeper. I tossed and turned too much, not to mention that our bed was a waveless waterbed! For us it just wasn't safe. My cousin, on the other hand, got something she called a "Cosleepers bed for the bed". It was some sort of little deal with sides so the baby was still in bed with you, but the sides were hard enough to keep you from rolling over on the baby. It's hard to explain. Sorry I can't do a better job of it.
    debra_benge

Answer by debra_benge at 5:49 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• there are people who have smothered their babies but from what i can tell thats pretty uncommon, we co slept for a while then i bought a snuggle nest bed then i transitioned him to his basinette and finally to his crib
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 5:50 PM on Jan. 13, 2009