• In the Spotlight:

Can I overcome my fear of needles?

The lady from the research facility at the hospital called and wants a blood sample from me for the research project my daughter and DH are involved in. I want to help them but Im terrified of needles. What do I do?

kristal2146

Asked by kristal2146 at 5:47 PM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Ask them if you can have something for anxiety before you go. I am not a bit afraid of needles, but I'm petrified of the dentist and if they want me in there every 6 months for so much as a cleaning, they're going to give me something for the car ride and then strap me to gas while I'm in there...I'm a sissy, I know...lol
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 6:00 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Well, I was terrified too but after 3 kids you just suck it up and handle it. Just do it. Go in and take a deep breath, it's only a few seconds in life.... I know, not much help but that's what I had to so and I figured that " this sure wont be the last needle in my life either"
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 5:50 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• well, they had to get your blood when you were pregnant, you should face your fears. it is healthier for you to face them, rather than to live your life in fear of them. if it's going to help someone someday, i say suck it up and do it. i am terrified of needles, also, but it doesn't stop me from donating blood to the red cross every now and then.
    AudlyLuvly

Answer by AudlyLuvly at 5:51 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• When you go for this to be done tell them that you are afraid of needles, they have alot of people like this come through their doors I'm sure and are experienced enough to deal with it I'm sure :).
    HNK11

Answer by HNK11 at 5:54 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I am also petrified of needles. I bring my husband with me when I go. I hold his hand and talk to him the whole time. I also have them use a butterfly (which is a tiny needle, much less painful). I also tell them NOT to warn me before they stick. It takes some of the nerves out of it!
    Kaelaasmom

Answer by Kaelaasmom at 5:55 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I don't know if you can overcome it, I guess anyone can get over anything really. What I do is I let them know I might pass out, that I am on the verge of a heartattack and then I make sure to BREATH but not TOO fast. lol or you will pass out. The thinner needles are a good idea and try to make sure the nurse has been at this for a while. I have had rookies that need to have a needle stuck in them full of drain cleaner. Do it if your heart says you must, but let them know you seriously are afraid. GOOD LUCK
    alohasiempre

Answer by alohasiempre at 6:02 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I have a tendency to pass out when a needle gets close to me...no joke! I usually let the Dr. know this right away. I look the other way the entire time & start a conversation on a particular subject. I don't want them to know when they are putting it in or taking it out. I try to stay calm & make sure that I'm breathing properly. ha!
    onespecialmom

Answer by onespecialmom at 6:02 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Suck it up. The only way to conquer a fear is to face it. I hated needles, and then I was put on Byetta when it was in the trial phase. After a couple weeks of injecting myself and not have any pain or problems (well, except when I forgot to take it out of the fridge one day! yikes!!), I got over it.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 6:47 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• hard to say. i have been type one diabetic half of my life! over ten years... so i take multiple shots a day. they grow on you. i cannot even feel them.
    revigue

Answer by revigue at 12:47 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Try some self-meditation exercises. Tell her to allow you to go to your "special place" before she inserts the needle. If she has been a phlebotomist for several years, chances are she'll be in and out before you know it.
    Look up meditation exercises online - they truly help.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 6:03 AM on Jan. 14, 2009