What is a good schedule for a 4 yr old who's parents are in different states (6 hour drive)?

We recently moved about 6 hours away from my step-daughter's mother. For the time being she has spent more time with her mother however in 2007-2008 she almost never saw her mom (because of her mother's career training and laziness) She starts kindergarden next fall and it would just be horrible to only see her on select holidays. Does anyone else live away from the other parent? everything is joint and no support is paid either way. The exwife is now engaged to an army man- they are moving in 2011 so would we be concidered more stable? What kind of schedule works for you? Should we fight to keep her the majority of the time? Thanks

Italianbella26

Asked by Italianbella26 at 5:59 PM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My mother and a friend of mine dealt with this. The non custodial parent got the child 6 weeks in the summer and then on alternate holidays. So Easter, and Thanksgiving one year was with the custodial parent and Christmas was with the non custodial, then the next year, they switched. If you really feel that she would be better off with you and would be better off in a more stable environment where she didn't have to risk switching schools when he switched bases, then I would encourage your husband to try to get custody.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 6:02 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I would go thru the courts. A four year old being driven around like that is rough for everyone involved. My suggestion, school breaks and every other weekend. Alternate pick up and drop off and/or meet half way.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 6:06 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• How do we prove something like that in court? we are truely more fit, not even being biased about it, however I'm not sure how you prove it especially seeing as I'm with the dad. Are dad's still not given the same rights these days?

Also- They have joint placement, joint custody
    Italianbella26

Answer by Italianbella26 at 6:12 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• My husband has custody of his son. Primary. BM gets visitation only. Contact your attorney and see what he/she thinks about it. It shouldn't be too hard to prove that the new stepfather could be uprooting her every year or however often he got restationed.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 6:14 PM on Jan. 13, 2009