Have you had an abortion?

I have a friend (I know, I know... the typical avoidance question, but this is true!) who is thinking about getting an abortion, and I need all the help I can get to show her that she might be making a mistake. Of course, I will support her either way, but she needs to know the results of such a decision. If you have had an abortion, how did it effect you physically, and most of all, how did it effect you emotionally, now and years later? Thank you.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:00 PM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Pregnancy

• i've had one and i had no physical effects after the fact and was able to carry a healthy baby to term after that. emotionally its something you have to deal with, i delt with it the wrong way and had a 'replacement baby...' thats not the way to go because it doesnt make you feel less bad.
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 6:03 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• i had 2 of them. it had no effect on me, physically or emotionally. not then, and not now years later. not after i gave birth to my children. if you are really her friend, please let her make her own decision. just because YOU don't agree, it's not your life and you have no idea how it will or will not affect her.
    Anonymous

• I have never had one. But I know people who have. If your friend is willing to make this decision I think you should support her rather you believe in abortions or not.
    lizafur13

Answer by lizafur13 at 6:04 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• i post this as ano, because nobody except my mom know about the abortion i had. not even my husband.

it was the worse thing i have ever done. it happened almost 10 years ago. and i still regret it. i still remember the due date and i still bother myself with the question: is it a boy or a girl? i was only 17 and not in the financial position to afford a child and my boyfriend (ex of course) kind of forced me to get an abortion. i will never forgive myself for doing it. never. it was the worse decision i ever had to make.

Anonymous

• and btw. i have a healthy and beautiful daughter with my husband now. but yet i still regret my decision from 10 years ago. :-(
    Anonymous

• I had an abortion when I was 19 because I absolutely knew it was not in my best interest, or the baby's for that matter, to have a child at that point in my life. It was a VERY hard decision, because I was always against abortions, but after a lot of deep thinking I made the decision. I know there are people who are very much pro-life, I can respect that. However, it's a heavy decision for anyone to make. Now that it's nearly 6 years later I can say I made the best decision. I still think about the day I had it done every year. If she feels deep down in her heart that it's what she needs to do, she needs support. Either way, I know there's those who are all for keeping the baby and giving it up for adoption, but that comes at a price too. It's truly a personal decision and nobody, NOBODY, should be pressured into thinking either way, your friend needs time and support to do what she wants. It's her body.
    Anonymous

• what helped me get through mine was i named her.. Arienette Marie, and i say happy birthday to her on her due date. a lot of people do it actually. i like to pretend she had blue eyes and black hair :]
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 6:08 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• ps i was only 5 weeks, i just pretend that it was a girl
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 6:09 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• i had one and i had no real physical effects after it other than it took me 7 years of tring to get pregnant 3 years after it. It effected me emotionally though. for about 3 years after i had it done i cried every time i saw a baby. It mad me feel like i was a terrible person even though i had it done because of a medical reason ( they told me i would have a %40 Chance to live if i carried the baby). Still tell this day when i think about it i start cring... I wish i never had it done. Tell your friend that it is one of the worst feelings u can ever feel.... If she dont want the baby for what ever reason tell her to carry it to term and give the baby up fpr adoption, there are lots of families that cant have children that would love to have a little bundle of joy.... good luck to your friend
    Anonymous

• I had one when I was young and felt pressured into it. I still am not over it. I wish I would have kept the baby and put it up for adoption. You dont heal from something like that if youre honest with yourself. Its murder.
    Anonymous