a deployed husband

i do i help my kids with things they hear from the news about thing s where their daddy is at ?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:50 PM on Jul. 17, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• Tell them daddy is not exactly where they saw whatever on the news. Or tell them daddy is not that kind of soldier. Keep it simple unless they are over 10 and can grasp the true nature of the situation over there. In that case be honest.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 6:20 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• Don't know how old you children are but do they really like to listen to the 6:00 news. I know my kids could have cared less. Unless you are exposing them to it. The less they know they better they are.
    Anonymous

• If they're old enough to be watching the news, they can probably deal with you being real with them. Tell them the truth, get a map of the middle east and mark where daddy is.

Supernanny suggests getting a webcam so yall can call/see/talk to daddy. Could you do that?
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 11:14 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• When I was married to a soldier and had young kids we did not turn on the news at any time. If concerns still came up I would explain that is daddy's job and that all jobs carry risks: police, firefighters, bank tellers, construction workers, social workers, even presidents have been injured on the job. I don't know how old your children are so I'm not sure if they are capable of understanding those paralells, but that's what I did.
    Gotoyourmoms

Answer by Gotoyourmoms at 9:25 AM on Jul. 21, 2008