HELP!!!!!!!!!

MY 2 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER TOUCHES EVERYTHING SHE SEES. I ALWAYS TELL HER NOT TO TOUCH BUT SHE DOESNT LISTEN. ANY TIPS ON HOW TO TEACH HER TO LISTEN TO ME?

hmomr

Asked by hmomr at 6:10 PM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I know of a GREAT book that you might find some good ideas in... it's written by a Christian, so I don't know how you would feel about that..... if you are interested in learning the title and author's name please send me a message =)
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 6:14 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I give my dd three chances of telling her not to do something, or sometimes to do something. Depending on the severity of what she did, she will either get a 2 minute, for 2 yo, timeout or something taken away. For example, today she colored on the couch, I told her not to, she did it again, dh told her not to, then she colored on the wall. So the crayons are gone for the rest of the week.
    avpriddis

Answer by avpriddis at 6:17 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• This may sound terrible, but perhaps you should let her hurt herself a little. You know, children understand no, but they don't understand why. Not something bad, but maybe don't catch something the next time she knocks it over. I know I know I am going to get bashed for this answer, but my SIL did this with my nephew. He wouldn't ever listen to no and one day he got his hand caught in the mail slot and that changed really fast.
    Anonymous

• if she keeps hearing no! or stop that or do it again and your gonna be in trouble she will continue doing it! tell her once firmly and if she continues put her in a time out.. let her know she has one chance and if she continues she has to sit down with no toys and then explain to her why she was in time out..it may seem harsh but really, its not.. she will know you mean bussiness!
    Bellasmommy7778

Answer by Bellasmommy7778 at 6:43 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Choose your battles.
    If you're always saying no, then why SHOULD she listen to you? How in the world can she learn about the world if you won't let her explore it?
    No is a word which should be very, very last in your vocabulary.
    Always offer choices, and alternatives.
    For best results BABY-PROOF!!! Put all the stuff you don't want her touching in storage.
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 9:42 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• (Actually, anonymous- I agree with you. I've never been opposed to allowing my kids to learn on their own, within certain boundaries of course.. I'd never let them get seriously hurt (like by touching the grill on the stove, or falling down the stairs), but a little bounce off the couch, or a trip over the toys isn't going to harm..)
    For things like colouring on the walls - I don't say "don't do that". Instead I get out a piece of paper and say "colour on this".. I also try not to be on my kid for every little thing.. She may have taken a crayon to the wall when she was younger, but I didn't make a big deal out of it. If it wasn't taboo, then it was less interesting to do.
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 9:46 PM on Jan. 13, 2009