Need Advice...my dog is expecting babies.

my dog is expecting to have babies next week. i am just looking for some advice from anyone who has had a dog that has given birth. what to expect and what to do kind of info. she is a shih-tzu bichon, so she is pretty smalll. i was told she will probably have 5-8 babies. for example...how long do they just drink milk. when do you need to start giving them food and water? since they are in the house, how do you deal with poop and pee since they are too little to take outside or potty train. how long do they have to stay with their mother? 8 weeks? any advice or info. would be much appreciated. thanks in advance!

marci2babies

Asked by marci2babies at 6:17 PM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Pets

• Google it or even better talk to your vet.The vet will need to see them all anyways after birth.good luck.
    Anonymous

• You need to get a birthing area for her. You can get a box or some wood and make an area where she can have the babies. Get her in it asap. Put sawdust if you can under or cob bedding. Thatll suck up any odor from the puppies. Put some old blankets down for her and make sure its in an area where she will feel safe and away from kids. The puppies wont start to eat regular food until around 4 weeks, then you can start them on soft dog food. If you have the area set up they will also stay in that area. Around 3 weeks old start putting down paper so they can use the bathroom there. But only in one corner they wont eat and poo in the same area. They should stay with the mom minimum 8 weeks and up to 12 is best. Good luck.
    *source my mom breeds shihtzus

Answer by gemgem at 6:20 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• On good thing to have on hand is one of those baby sucky things for the nose. Just in case the puppies come out and have mucus in their nose. Depending on how they are developing you can start them on soft food at around 5 to 6 weeks. They will still be nursing. The momma doggy will normally start winging them at about 6-8 weeks.

I have lots more information so if you want to PM me please do. I have raised several litters of doxies years ago.
    JD08

Answer by JD08 at 6:27 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• message me!!!!!!! i just went through the same thing i swear i can guide you through the whole process my puppies are 10 days old!!!
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 9:04 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• seriously i promise i can answer all of your questions =)
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 9:05 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Sorry can't help myself.....you should have gotten your dog fixed. Your dog is little. She'll only have 2-4 puppies. Get a book, or google it.
    my4lads

Answer by my4lads at 9:06 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Our mini dach just had 5 puppies. They are doing great. Please let nature take its course. Good advice from all of you except yours, my4lads. I think your answer was redundant and quite rude.
    Anonymous

• Answered at 6:27 PM on Jan. 13, 2009 by: JD08 JD08 On good thing to have on hand is one of those baby sucky things for the nose

I just want to feel special...Nasal Aspirator...it took me 4 years to learn what that thing was called LOL...but they are really helpful...my foster cat was preggers when she came to me and I had to suck some junk out of a kittens mouth...

OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 2:03 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• thanks for the advice ladies. of course i know that i can google it or get a book or talk to the vet, but i just wanted some personal experience answers from you. my cousin is a dog breeder, and i could talk to him as well, but the source i choose was to ask some ladies here. secondly, to the person that told me she is small and will only have 2-4 dogs....i got my dog from my cousin who is a breeder, he has many dogs like her and other small dogs, he told me she would have 5-8 babies. and lastly to you, just because im asking for advice doesnt mean that i should get her fixed. besides that...thank you to all of the ladies who gave me advice and to those who sent me personal messages. i appreciate it. i will contact you if i have any more questions. thank you!
    marci2babies

Answer by marci2babies at 4:53 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• There is no reason for my4lads to say anything about getting your dog fixed, it's none of her business, and it was rude. It's your dog and it's your right not to have her spayed. Congrats on the fact your going to be having puppies soon. Ignore the rude comments on people who think they know EVERYTHING and their ways are whats going to make the world a better place. If they had their ways of EVERY dog being fixed, dogs would cease to exist...yet they are animal or dog lovers and such. I am going to be breeding my german shepherd too and I have asked for advice on here and like you got crappy know it all answers but also a lot of women who helped me. It's always nice to talk to someone who has been through it and can let you know what to expect. Good luck!
    ItalianMomma04

Answer by ItalianMomma04 at 7:22 PM on Jan. 14, 2009