how to wean from breast feeding?

It is almost time to wean my son off the breast and I have no idea how to go about it. He still get up at night to nurse and I have no idea what to do about this when it comes time to wean. He gets up at least once sometimes twice a night. Aside from not knowing what to do about the night thing I really dont even know how to even begin the weaning process. So if any of you have any suggestion on what to do and how to do it I would greatly appreciate it...
Thanks

Srkimmel

Asked by Srkimmel at 6:30 PM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I always heard that you replace one feeding every week with your new method of feeding until there is no more. I guess its what ever works for you, but that helped me tremendously get my son weaned off the bottle and to a cup.
    kbates1208

Answer by kbates1208 at 7:06 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• You know you don't have to wean. Breastmilk is incredibly benififial that 2nd yr. The W.H.O. recomends breastfeeding till at least age 2. Here is a link if you are interested in knowing more about extended breastfeeding http://www.kellymom.com/bf/bfextended/ebf-benefits.html also there is a great group here on cafemom for moms who do extended breastfeeding http://www.cafemom.com/group/breastfeedingtoddlers

I'm not trying to push anything on you, I weaned my oldest at 18mo because everywhere I turned I heard the 12mo thing. If I had known more I would have breastfeed him longer. With my 2nd son I breastfeed till 2 1/2 yrs.
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 7:18 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• If you have already started giving him solid food, then you have already started the weaning process. Just keep doing what you are doing for a few more months! If you wait until baby is at least a year old it will happen naturally. As he starts to eat more solid food he will nurse less. By the time he is a year old he will probably only be nursing a few times a day. That way you can just wean from the breast to a cup, and you don't have to bother with bottles and formula!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 9:07 PM on Jan. 13, 2009