I hope someone can help..I have a 16 month old daughter and have been having some frustrating times where she does not want to eat..she'll spit her food out or she'l take maybe a couple bites then she's done..she is not sick and I think alot has to do with the fact that I use to feed her watching t.v. but im trying to break her from that.. any suggestions? I just want to make sure she is getting enough nutrition.. any advice would be alot of help!! thx

when your child wont eat

Bellasmommy7778

Asked by Bellasmommy7778 at 6:33 PM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter does the SAME thing. But as I have been told many times, and am finding out, she will eat when she is hungry. Her pediatrician said that their little bodies are very smart....they will drink if they need to, and eat when they need the food....they won't let themselves dehydrate or starve. So don't worry too much, as long as you offer the food you are doing as much as you can do. If she wants it she will eat it. :) You know you're child, and can recognize if there is a serious problem...
    nrth2sth05

Answer by nrth2sth05 at 8:30 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• As far as I know, they will eat when they want and get enough nutrition as long as you keep offering them nutritious foods. I've realized that they eat more when they are growing too, so be on the lookout for a different eating pattern, when they eat anything in sight! Good luck :)
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 6:35 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• My kids were grazers. I always just kept food available for them at that age but remember her stomach is the size of her fist. As long as shes getting healthy food and several small meals a day its ok.

Answer by gemgem at 6:35 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• If she is used to watching tv, then perhaps you can be sure to entertain her when you are feeding her, at least during this time. Sing, recite nursery rhymes, tell stories, anything to keep her as distracted as she was when watching the tv while eating. Then you can cut back. Or maybe she isn't hungry. Offer the food and if she turns it down then say All Done. and the meal is over.

Answer by Bmat at 6:37 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• She'll eat if she's hungry. That's what toddlers do.
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 6:57 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Don't stress over her not eating, they will eat when hungry. I used to do the same thing, but as long as she's playing and active and basically doing normal child things I wouldn't worry about it. My son is a very picky eater and when he started going to daycare at 14 months that really helped him to eat more table food because he saw the other kids eating, but when he would come home he wouldn't eat so I started trying to sit down with him and eat. Sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't the best solution is to let her explore with things she want and don't want, but try not to stress out over her not eating a whole lot.
    NewMom625

Answer by NewMom625 at 7:27 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• This is one of the reasons why the WHO recommends breastfeeding until 2 years- it fills in those nutritional gaps.
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 9:39 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Do you let her feed herself? If not, try it. Give her finger foods she can pick up on her own. Give her a few choices ie: whole grain waffle pieces and diced peaches or whatever fruit she likes. Sounds like your trying to make mealtime a routine, so you're on the right track with that. I just read in my Toddler book about this today in the "feeding" section. It said only offer picky eaters healthy options so that what they do eat isn't a bunch of wasted calories with no nutritional value. Like one of the comments above stated try feeding her more frequent meals too. 2 meals may= 1 for her.
    deedee3849

Answer by deedee3849 at 10:51 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I too am going through the same thing with my 2 yr old son his problem is that he wont eat vegetables so i get him pediasure nutrition drinks and snacks and also the V8 fusion juice that is made from fruit and veggies so i know that he gets his daily allowance.
    timster7583

Answer by timster7583 at 1:43 AM on Jan. 14, 2009