Has anyone had kids with enlarged tonsils? My 14 month old has them and we aren't sure what to think of it.

We found out today that my 14 month old DS has enlarged tonsils and thats why he hasn't been able to eat any solid foods that dont dissolve (like cheerios). Anyways the ped said that they will either remove them or have us take him to gag and swallowing therapy classes. I would really like some input from some of you that have gone through this.

lyndonsmom

Asked by lyndonsmom at 6:46 PM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Yep two of my kids did. We had their tonsils taken out.

Answer by gemgem at 6:46 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• i had my tonsils out as a child becuz of getting sick to many times but my son had the same issue i was told they werent to bad and required no medical intervintion but they were going to watch them and make sure they didnt get more swollen well they did. He had them removed no biggy you dont need them besides your kids love after words you get to eat all the yummy stuff for several days pudding jello ice cream lol.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 6:48 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• if you are concern about it dal talk to your doctor intresting
    supermum2

Answer by supermum2 at 8:47 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• My son also was born with very large tonsils that interfered with his ability to suck & swallow, plus they were causing severe obstructive sleep apnea, so we had them removed and he's been much better since.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 9:46 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I have very large tonsils. I used to get strep all the time as a child. So bad that they would swell up and almost close off my throat completly. I couldnt swallow anything but a bit of liquid if that. But my dr. did not want to take them out because he said they are functional part of the body. I finally kind of out grew getting strep every year(last time as a child I was 16) Only had it twice as an adult but I have to go get a shot of penicillian at the dr. or I cant get over it. I used to wish they would just take the darn things out & be over with it but no still have them & I am almost 40 now.
    Anonymous

• i just found out that my son has big tonsils they gave him preasone is that good
    SNOOKERDOODLE

Answer by SNOOKERDOODLE at 3:28 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• hi, we asked our doc to refer our daughter (2yrs 5mths) to a ear,nose & throat speciailist. We explained she has had reoccurant tonsilitus and he has prescribed a 6mth low dose antibitic to pass time/keep infection away to allow a bit longer for immune system to build up. He said after 3 yrs old tonsils are less important so he will see her again when she is 3. They take them out uaully if it affects their sleep/ snoring/stuffy nose/sore throat which causes sleep apnoe. He advised us to kleep a diary of her sleep/disturbed sleep pattern. We didn;t know this before and so hadn;t mentioned her sleeping, wish we had! next time we will. Hopefully they'll take the out when she is 3... fingers crossed. she is only 23lbs now and nearly 2 1/2, she had problems eating solids until now..
    judulls24

Answer by judulls24 at 11:39 AM on Jan. 16, 2009