what should i do about her smart mouth

my daughter is 9 she has a bad attitude shes always yelling tell me shut up to leave her alone stop talking to her and that im getting on her nerves i dont tolerate the smart mouth i ground her but it doesnt work i tell her to go to her room but she says NO I DONT WANT TO i cant take it anymore how should i respond to this should i keep grounding her or spank her i dont know what to do helppp ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh im going to crazy im so friggin fustrated

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:58 PM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• I would pop her right in the mouth the next time that she spoke to me in a manner I found to be inappropriate, and send her to her room, and when she says "no I don't want to!" then drag her ass in there and tell her you are tired of her treating you like crap, and from now on she WILL listen whether she likes it or not.

You gotta get a handle on her now, or you are doomed to live in hell through her teen years.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 7:00 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I have to agree with Carolyn. Children push you to see how much they can get away with things. Mine tried it. They all do..hang in there! Parenting is very hard.
    MomnVa

Answer by MomnVa at 7:07 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• wow that is a very early start. I don't think that smacking her mouth will work, it may just make her more rebellious. Be consistent with her, you can't threaten and not follow through. I would also start taking things she likes. Tell her why you are taking them and when she will get them back. Tell her she can earn them once she learns to respect you and stops talking back. Stick to your words, because kids will take advantage of our weakness as parents. I would start by taking things out of her rooms that she likes the most and everytime she yells or talks back just walk right into her room remove something out and lock it up where she won't get into it. Then tell her when she will get it back. Be strict and FIRM, but most of all consistent. Good LUCK! Oh, and try the bar of soap it worked for me.
    SimplyCreative

Answer by SimplyCreative at 7:09 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I would never hit my child on the mouth. I deal with back talking a little differently. I make their lives a bit of a living hell instead. It tends to leave a bigger impression then hitting them anyway. I tell them I am not their snot nose friend from school so they wont be talking to me that or worse then they do their own friends. I explain to them as long as they proceed I will proceed to take things one by one from their room. TV first, phone, radio, toys etc until they are down to nothing but a bed and blanket. Then they can start earning it back by earning my respect.

Answer by gemgem at 7:29 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Taking things away one at a time might work, but if things get really bad...My SO says situations like this call for "jail" time. If they behave in a way that they wouldn't be able to as an adult in the "real world", then they need to be punished similar to how they would in the real world. Jail time is removing everything from their room except the bed and dresser and they would have to stay in their room for x amount of time. They could get bathroom breaks and meal breaks and thats it but only at certain times or when they asked for it, appropriately. Trust me, once they get out of jail, they dont want to go back!
    jdrae13

Answer by jdrae13 at 9:08 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I agree with all the above answers that consistency is the key. I would like to also say, WELCOME TO PUBERTY because my 9 yr. old DD is going through this too and is the same way at times! HORMONES, UGH!

LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 10:14 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• "I don't want to" would become my standard answer for anything SHE wanted until she decides to act right.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 9:47 AM on Jan. 26, 2009