Homebirth in Louisiana?

Is it legal in Louisiana for a midwife to attend a homebirth? I've heard it's illegal in 11 states for a midwife to attend a homebirth. Please tell me Louisiana isn't one of them! I'm not going to a hospital this time and I don't want to go unassisted...

MamaCatCat

Asked by MamaCatCat at 7:17 PM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Health

• No, it is not illegal in Louisiana for a midwife to attend a homebirth, but there may be restrictions that apply. Check with a midwife in your area.
    purvislets

Answer by purvislets at 7:42 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• If the midwife is certified and completes all of the state requirements of which there appear to be many it is legal. Look it up online like I did you will be amazed about the wealth of information on homebirths out there. some good and some bad-a lot controversey.
    jenniferinvt23

Answer by jenniferinvt23 at 7:53 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I'm a Doula here in LA (I'm in NOLA) and I can assure you Midwife Assisted Birth is definitely not illegal here. You're in the clear.
    littlemrsmarcel

Answer by littlemrsmarcel at 12:10 AM on Apr. 6, 2009